•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Easy way to keep Meteors in Pixinsight?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gerryberry

gerryberry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:53 AM

Me again :)

So took about 170 images of the meteor shower last night, thanks for people who helped me,

About 25 of the images have good meteor streaks in them so I would like to try and include them in my final image

Everything online is Photoshop which I dont have and new to Pixinsight so one or two of Adams one confused me,

Is there any "easy" way to do it in Pixinsight or am I better for these types of processing sticking with Photoshop?

My 300m lens arrives next week and Im good at processing galaxies with PI so I think my daily questions will cease for a while anyways!

I do appreciate everyones help though,

Ger

#2 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:02 AM

Are all of your images of the same area of the sky? Example, you put your camera on a mount/tracker and imaged the same area of the sky the whole night. If yes, then I think you could keep your meteor streaks by not using any pixel rejection algorithms when integrating. Usually when you integrate images, you want satellite trails / random streaks to _not_ be included, so you use certain rejection algorithms like Winsorized Clipping or GESD.

So, do your normal calibration process (assuming you took darks/flats/biases). If you didn't, then just register and integrate the lights.

med_gallery_347158_15661_290199.png

I don't know if this will work - I've never actually shot meteors and tried to keep the trails, but it's what I would try :)

• gerryberry likes this

#3 gerryberry

gerryberry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:09 AM

Great will try that yes same part of the sky using tracking mount, I’ll let you know if it works thanks!
  • jonnybravo0311 likes this

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Gemini

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

I did that when I wanted to capture an asteroid trail.  I just selected "No rejection", and it kept it.

• gerryberry likes this

#5 gerryberry

gerryberry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:30 AM

Are all of your images of the same area of the sky? Example, you put your camera on a mount/tracker and imaged the same area of the sky the whole night. If yes, then I think you could keep your meteor streaks by not using any pixel rejection algorithms when integrating. Usually when you integrate images, you want satellite trails / random streaks to _not_ be included, so you use certain rejection algorithms like Winsorized Clipping or GESD.

So, do your normal calibration process (assuming you took darks/flats/biases). If you didn't, then just register and integrate the lights.

med_gallery_347158_15661_290199.png

I don't know if this will work - I've never actually shot meteors and tried to keep the trails, but it's what I would try smile.gif

just to be sure

im going to run weightedbatchpreprocessing

input flats, lights, biases and darks

all settings are my usual except under lights i choose image integration - rejection method none

but in the calibration frames rejection method default?

Edited by gerryberry, 06 May 2021 - 11:31 AM.

#6 gerryberry

gerryberry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:50 PM

nope not sure on the above Jonny if you could add some guidance on how its done, I ran Image Integration process and added all my raw files with meteors in them and chose no rejection and doesnt seem to have worked

#7 06AwzIyI

06AwzIyI

Vostok 1

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:00 PM

nope not sure on the above Jonny if you could add some guidance on how its done, I ran Image Integration process and added all my raw files with meteors in them and chose no rejection and doesnt seem to have worked

Try it without Subframe Weighting. I'm betting those meteor streaks are kicking up the eccentricity pretty high, giving them a low weight.

#8 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:22 PM

Try running WBPP only for calibration (don't have it do the registration / integration). You can do those two steps yourself. Doing it that way, you'll have full control over how to integrate.

• jdupton likes this

#9 jdupton

jdupton

Gemini

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:44 PM

Ger,

There is a very simple way to do it but final processing will be a little different.

As @jonnybravo0311 has suggested, run WBPP for calibration but choose not to do the integration. Run that on the aligned subs yourself. Try using the following settings in Image_Integration:

• In the Image Integration section, Rather than choosing "Average" Combination, choose "Maximum" instead. This will pick the brightest pixel in each stack for a given pixel location. The result is the full brightness of the meteor will replace the background.

• Choose "Adaptive Normalization" as the Normalization method to help even out some of the background gradients that result.

• In the Pixel Rejection (1) section, either try "No Rejection" or "Min/Max" as the Rejection Algorithm.

• If you Choose Min/Max, then choose "Adaptive Normalization" and Uncheck the option "Clip High Pixels".

• In the Pixel Rejection (2) section, set the "Min/Max Low" value to about 10% of the number of frames you will be integrating assuming you choose Min/Max Pixel Rejection. (About 17 for your case?)

I have used settings similar to these these when I want to emphasize asteroid trails in images. These settings can result in more gradients to remove than the normal settings so be prepared to spend a little more time in DBE for cleanup as required.

John

Edited by jdupton, 06 May 2021 - 09:46 PM.

• pfile, jonnybravo0311 and gerryberry like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics