•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Ultra-Zoom 7mm-21mm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:09 PM

Anyone familiar with these? If so how do they stack up say against a current Celestron or even Svbony zoom?  Here is one that used to be for sale here for reference  https://www.cloudyni...-made-in-japan/

#2 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:33 PM

Anyone familiar with these? If so how do they stack up say against a current Celestron or even Svbony zoom?  Here is one that used to be for sale here for reference  https://www.cloudyni...-made-in-japan/

They all perform well and most are parfocal, my 2 Svbonys are for sure ! I just sold my Orion E Series 7-21mm, it just wasn’t getting the use but it gave great views. I am sure you will have no problems with the one you reference either !

• DouglasPaul likes this

#3 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:47 PM

Unless you are a picky observer or think you are, in that case there are several brands that some think perform at higher levels for 3-5x the price but .......... ?

Edited by LDW47, 07 May 2021 - 11:23 PM.

• spongebob@55 likes this

#4 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:22 PM

Unless you are a picky observer or think you are, in that case there are several rands that some think perform at higher levels for 3-5x the price but .......... ?

Not really, my most expensive ep's are the dual ed starguiders. I was just thinking about making a trade with someone for a couple of these for something of mine and wanted a opinion from someone that has experience with them.

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:32 PM

Not really, my most expensive ep's are the dual ed starguiders. I was just thinking about making a trade with someone for a couple of these for something of mine and wanted a opinion from someone that has experience with them.

My Svbony 10-30 zoom is my go to ep for my PST and 80mm WL solar scopes and at night the views are next to none for a zoom but as with all zooms the FOV’s are relatively narrow compared to stand alone eps ! But don’t let that fool you, every astronomer should have at least one for those quick viewing sessions and as a fun change of pace, a bit of a challenge. I had 6 and I just sold 2, lol !

• DouglasPaul likes this

#6 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:44 PM

My Svbony 10-30 zoom is my go to ep for my PST and 80mm WL solar scopes and at night the views are next to none for a zoom but as with all zooms the FOV’s are relatively narrow compared to stand alone eps ! But don’t let that fool you, every astronomer should have at least one for those quick viewing sessions and as a fun change of pace, a bit of a challenge. I had 6 and I just sold 2, lol !

Well, I put the offer out there. We'll see, I always wanted to at least try one (since I've had a telescope), hopefully it works out.

Edited by DouglasPaul, 07 May 2021 - 11:46 PM.

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 08 May 2021 - 06:53 AM

Well, I put the offer out there. We'll see, I always wanted to at least try one (since I've had a telescope), hopefully it works out.

I don’t know what you will pay for it but you really can’t go wrong if it is in good working order.

#8 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:01 AM

It's a trade, someone posted a wanted add for something I have and was willing to trade two of the zooms for them. Trade was accepted so now I get to try one if the skies ever clear up around here. 

• SeattleScott, LDW47 and erin like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics