•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

9.25" EDGE on GM8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:47 PM

I sold my CPC800 Edge a few days, and I'm wondering where the invest the proceeds.

The CPC was a good scope, but at 43 lbs for the fork and OTA, it just became more than I wanted to handle. But the 21 lb weight of the 9.25" OTA should be quite manageable on the GM8, and doesn't exceed my self-imposed limit of no part heavier than 30 lbs. smile.gif

Anyone here have a similar set up? 

I did have a 11" Celestron a few years back, but I decided that was somewhat awkward.

I know that new scopes are scarce right now. Hoping I might see one pop up on the used market.

Edited by Steve C., 07 May 2021 - 05:48 PM.

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:59 PM

If you're not imaging and view with little wind, I'd go for the C925 Evo.  It will be far easier to set up and align and you'll most likely use it  more.

• ewave and Bean614 like this

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:33 AM

I think it is true the Evo will be faster setup but I personally, as a stability freak, would avoid them like the plague.   And the other question is, will the Evo be working 20 years from now?   Can you add a refractor to it?  The 20 year old G11 below is still going....but it *is* more setup hassle.

Between the G8 and G11...there's so much more you can do with a G11.  (Like mount an apo.)  But there is sort of a half way measure which is get a GM811g on the HD tripod.   With that the bottom half of the EQ head is the G11.  But at that point I think you might as well get a G11.  Which is what I have thought about the G8s for a long time anyhow.

Greg N

c8 margaret corgi stowaway.jpg

Edited by gnowellsct, 09 May 2021 - 12:34 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics