•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

5 mm Tak MC LE eyepiece

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scoper47

Scoper47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Olathe Ks

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:17 PM

I am sure many people lean toward the Tak LE series for planets along with their line of Abbe Orthos.. But I have been blown away with the 5mm Tak LE on planetaries like M 57.  Even under so so transparency it brings out details in M 57 like nothing I expected!  I used the 5mm Tak LE on M 57 with my 12.5 inch Dob at 381x and the ring just flowered and was so distinct under good tranparency.  I tried the 5mm Tak LE again a few nights later, this time with my 10" Hardin DSH at 250x and the Ring Neb showed almost as well, even with so so transparency.  I let an imager friend look at it and he was very impressed with it. I have already ordered a 7.5mm Tak LE and may end up getting the whole set.  These Tak LE's seem to work very well for close examination of details in dso's.

I would love to have Tak's top shelf line of Ultra Wide, 90 deg ep's, but the price of about $630. each ...OUCH!

Edited by Scoper47, 07 May 2021 - 06:24 PM.

• payner, RichA and Paul Morow like this

#2 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:23 PM

I have always been surprised at just how well the little LEs do on bringing out galaxies and nebula.  I have the 18mm to 5mm LEs, and if I can afford it one day will try to get the 4 TOE (for now I just 2.5x Powermate the 10 LE).  A really special line of eyepieces IMO and a set I would never consider letting go of.  They are unreasonably expensive though IMO.  But I got many used so well worth their used price.  When I take the set out for observing I usually mate it with either a 24mm ES68 or a Celestron 30mm Ultima and the jump from either of those to the 18mm LE is just perfect.

• JeremySh and Scoper47 like this

#3 Scoper47

Scoper47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:17 PM

What does the "TOE" stand for?

#4 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:44 PM

What does the "TOE" stand for?

Takahashi Ortho Enhanced

Peace...

#5 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:00 PM

I am sure many people lean toward the Tak LE series for planets along with their line of Abbe Orthos.. But I have been blown away with the 5mm Tak LE on planetaries like M 57.  Even under so so transparency it brings out details in M 57 like nothing I expected!  I used the 5mm Tak LE on M 57 with my 12.5 inch Dob at 381x and the ring just flowered and was so distinct under good tranparency.  I tried the 5mm Tak LE again a few nights later, this time with my 10" Hardin DSH at 250x and the Ring Neb showed almost as well, even with so so transparency.  I let an imager friend look at it and he was very impressed with it. I have already ordered a 7.5mm Tak LE and may end up getting the whole set.  These Tak LE's seem to work very well for close examination of details in dso's.

I would love to have Tak's top shelf line of Ultra Wide, 90 deg ep's, but the price of about $630. each ...OUCH!

The Takahashi LE line is the best all-around eyepieces I have used. Not gonna provide those HW AFOV, but incredible sharp (especially in a refractor), svelte, no undercuts and just a fun set of eyepieces. One of the all time best vies of Saturn was with a Takahashi LE 7.5-mm. Enjoy.

Randy

• JeremySh likes this

#6 RichA

RichA

Soyuz

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 08 May 2021 - 12:47 AM

Top flight coatings and internal blackening help those eyepieces.

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:17 AM

My 5LE is a standout. I was doing a shootout and we could only describe the view with the 5LE as perfect.

Scott
  • Paul Morow and JeremySh like this

#8 Scoper47

Scoper47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:29 PM

I have always been surprised at just how well the little LEs do on bringing out galaxies and nebula.  I have the 18mm to 5mm LEs, and if I can afford it one day will try to get the 4 TOE (for now I just 2.5x Powermate the 10 LE).  A really special line of eyepieces IMO and a set I would never consider letting go of.  They are unreasonably expensive though IMO.  But I got many used so well worth their used price.  When I take the set out for observing I usually mate it with either a 24mm ES68 or a Celestron 30mm Ultima and the jump from either of those to the 18mm LE is just perfect.

Hi Bill, I've always use Dob's with just "educated wrist" guiding, if you know what I mean. So I need the wider field ep's to help get me on target for the 5mm Tak LE at 52 deg's.   So, like you, I mate them with my 68 deg ep's if I going to go 200x plus on objects.

Edited by Scoper47, 09 May 2021 - 01:31 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics