•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reprocessed my very first image

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:39 PM

Hi, I don't really have anything else to do so I reprocessed my first astrophoto. It was shot on my meade starnavigator 90mm and due to the alt azimuth mount I couldn't get past 30 second exposures.

Equipment:

canon eos 1200d stock

meade starnavigator 90mm refractor

no calibration frames so there is vignetting and dust spots

The original stacked in dss and edited by moving sliders in gimp: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

The new copy stacked in siril and did a few edits there including color calibration and saturation. Moved to gimp to create luminance masks and adjust the saturation. Curved it a bit to try to highlight the galaxies and darken the background: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

I'm really proud of this because it shows that I have definitely improved since I started. Can't wait to see what I can do in a year!

• belliott4488 likes this

#2 belliott4488

belliott4488

Mariner 2

• Loc: MD, US

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:30 PM

That's a nice improvement - the spiral arms on M81 are much clearer now.

I've also been meaning to go back to my first couple of images to see if I can improve them, but I made enough mistake in capturing either the lights or the flats that I'm pretty sure there's not a whole lot of room for improvement. I'm really looking forward to getting another shot at the same targets when they come around again.

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:37 PM

Very nice. I can't do that with mine, the film has already been developed. frown.gif

• belliott4488 likes this

#4 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:05 PM

That's a nice improvement - the spiral arms on M81 are much clearer now.

I've also been meaning to go back to my first couple of images to see if I can improve them, but I made enough mistake in capturing either the lights or the flats that I'm pretty sure there's not a whole lot of room for improvement. I'm really looking forward to getting another shot at the same targets when they come around again.

I didn't think I would be able to do much to this image especially since I didn't take any calibration frames. I would definitely try it even just to see if it's possible

Edited by Idkwhatsgoingon, 07 May 2021 - 09:06 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics