•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 5/7/21

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas Area, Texas

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:14 PM

First attempt using a Barlow this morning. 8” f8 4000mm.  Not stellar work but I caught a shadow on the planet. Assume that’s Io? Maybe?

gallery_357716_16532_9841.jpeg

Hoping someone else was imaging and caught a better version of this.

• Jeffrey C., Kenny V., dhammy and 2 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:34 PM

It's a start! :) Use WinJUPOS to check the time of your capture against the "activity" on/around Jupiter in the "Ephemerides" section, where there is a graphic display.

#3 Sunspot

Sunspot

Voyager 1

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:10 PM

I think you got Callisto (the moon, not a shadow) on the planet and Ganymede about to enter onto the disk. I caught it a bit after you. Nice catch!

#4 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:10 PM

I caught a shadow on the planet. Assume that’s Io? Maybe?

Grab the stellarium app, or check on the web version of it and you can figure out what it was by putting in the time you imaged it. https://stellarium-web.org/

#5 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:05 AM

I think you got Callisto (the moon, not a shadow) on the planet and Ganymede about to enter onto the disk. I caught it a bit after you. Nice catch!

Right you are! Post your pic when you get it processed. I’d love to see it.

#6 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the tip on WinJUPOS.  I just downloaded it and, after a few minutes was able to get the moon positions.  Seems like a very powerful tool!  I'll be using it to plan future observations.

Here's the positions in my photo.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:55 PM

If you tick the checkbox in that window of WinJUPOS (left hand side) of "Ephemerides > Graphics" for "Texturing" you'll get a reasonably accurate depiction of the surface features on the Jovian disk. Click "Shading" also btw.

Whilst not entirely accurate - because the constantly-changing details on the disk would make this impossible, some of the more notable features, especially the GRS & moon & moon shadow positions are accurate & worthwhile references. (as are other aspects of WJ used for obtaining accurate position measurements...)

When new updates of WJ are put out  it is important to update for this continued "skin" accuracy at times...WJ updates are quite regular & atm I have v12.0.7 which I think is the latest version... lol.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 09 May 2021 - 07:56 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics