•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newly Ordered LX90 12" should be here in a month (June 8, I hope).

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 doc_cj

doc_cj

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:34 PM

Hello all ... 

Just ordered my first big Meade telescope. I have been using a smaller Newtonian (4") and a 8" Dob for the last year or so, and finally decided I wanted to get something bigger. I also want to start doing a bit more astrophotography. Here's what I bought, so far ... 

1. Meade LX90 ACF 12" (with tripod) and the X-Wedge.

2. Meade Series 4000 Plossl Eyepieces in focal lengths of 6mm, 9mm, 13mm, 18mm, and 32mm (all 1.25") and six color filters: Light Red, Dark Yellow, Light Yellow, Dark Blue, Light Blue, and Green.

3. LXPS 18 PORTABLE POWER SUPPLY and the power adapter for the wall. I'll use the portable for dark sky spots near the Pawnee Grasslands, which are about 30 minutes from my house, or up in the Rockies north of Rocky Mountain National Park a bit over 40 minutes from my house. 

I've already got a decent steel garden wagon that will haul 100+ lbs of goods, so it should haul all of my equipment when I'm treking in from the truck to the site. When working the backyard I'll just wheel the unit out on a tri-pod stability system that uses 6" pneumatic tires and allows me to sit it on a flat base I'm installing toward the back of the yard. 

This is my first ACF/SCT and I['m really excited about using this beast. I've already received the wedge, and that thing weighs easily 35 lbs by itself. I'm already thinking of putting in a solid concrete base with a steel pole to replace the tripod for the backyard work. I can easily install a second poll, which can be lifted out of the ground as needed, where I can mount a small crane or lift system. That way I'm not trying to lift 100+ lbs of OTA, mount, and wedge onto the base. 

I'm always interested in any good advise you good folks might have. I'm OK with the basic observation stuff, and the new LX90 will actually allow me to better track and get a lot more out of the observation sessions. And the AP will be a steep learning curve, but I'm ready for the task. 

• osbourne one-nil and CltFlyboy like this

#2 kzar

kzar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:28 AM

I wish all the best with your new equipment. Let's give us a feedback once you have it. Looking forward to hearing from you. 

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:57 AM

This week I nearly booked a July cruise I'd chosen from the cruise-line brochure.

Until I spotted it was for July 2022.........

Good luck with June 8th !

#4 doc_cj

doc_cj

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:59 AM

This week I nearly booked a July cruise I'd chosen from the cruise-line brochure.

Until I spotted it was for July 2022.........

Good luck with June 8th !

Maybe I better double check my dates.  LOL!

#5 barnold84

barnold84

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:11 AM

Hi,

I hope you'll get you scope on the time as promised. This can easily become an odyssey nowadays. I'm still waiting for a Crayford for my new Dobsonian. Hoping for next week.

I think you'll get a very nice scope. My only recommendation would be to take a closer look at the eyepieces. It seems that you do a lot of visual observation and the first thing I did was to replace the Meade 4000 eyepieces that came with my OTA. While the longer focal length eyepieces are ok for observation, the short focal length eyepieces are inconvenient (very short eye distance). I'd recommend to invest into three or four very good eyepieces instead of a fine-grained FL sequence. For the long FL (like 32mm), I am using a 2" wide angle eyepiece. Of course, I had to buy a 2" diagonal but I have more than one 2" to 1,25"adapters.

Clear skies!

Björn

#6 doc_cj

doc_cj

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:24 AM

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Telescope just got cancelled. Seems that shipping the darn thing has been delayed to probably after September 1, so I told them to cancel it. Back to square 1, I guess. May be time to look at the used market again or consider a different brand. This is frustrating. Thanks to those who provided so much insight. 

#7 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:31 AM

Frustrating for sure, sorry to hear about that! I'd definitely start looking at used, there have been more than a few good deals the last month or so here. If I were anywhere nearby I'd jump on that Celestron 14" in the classifieds, that is a great deal. Then pair it with your favorite mount and you'd have a great long term scope.

Good luck whichever route you go.

#8 MGAR

MGAR

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Seattle

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:50 AM

Frustrating but also some folks say here that an LX200 mount is a much better mount for tracking/imaging that an LX90 so maybe consider that in your new venture in the used market if you getting into AP.

#9 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:22 PM

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Telescope just got cancelled. Seems that shipping the darn thing has been delayed to probably after September 1, so I told them to cancel it. Back to square 1, I guess. May be time to look at the used market again or consider a different brand. This is frustrating. Thanks to those who provided so much insight. 

Look at classifieds here and Facebook marketplace... that's where I got my LX200GPS 16" in 2017;  A CPC1100 in 2019 which I sold and bought a LX200gps 10in later in the year.  

20170731_103818_result.jpg

telescopes 16 & 11.jpg

LX200GPS10inch.jpg

• David Mercury and Bobo666 like this

#10 Andynator

Andynator

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:25 PM

Why'd you cancel it?

#11 doc_cj

doc_cj

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:59 PM

A quick update on my trek into Meade ownership. The original plan was to get the LX90 ACF 12" with the X-Wedge with a budget just over $3400. One thing led to another, price became an issue, and then the delivery date started to become a bigger issue. Ended up the delivery was being pushed back into 2022, so I cancelled and went back to the used market. I took deliver of my "new to me" Meade LX90 10" ACF on Monday.

Now that I've got the 10", the first thing I'll say is that "Thank goodness" for the shipping delay. This thing is a BEAST to lift, so I can't imagine how much worse the 12" would be. The closer I get to the my mid-60s the more I'm reminded that lifting a 90+ pound optical instrument is not necessarily a good idea every night (twice at least). 

The next thing to report is that everything seems to be in good working order. Right out of the boxes it all went together without a hitch. Dang hard to tell this system has even been used. There is NOT a scratch anywhere on anything! Paint is pristine. Everything is shiny, and there was even plastic still covering two out of three legs on the tripod. The OTA was wrapped with the original film as well. The fellow who owned it said he may have used it "less than a half-dozen times," and I can't find any reason to not believe him. Of the five eyepieces in the kit, only two were even unwrapped. Meade tells me the warranty was never registered, and they are checking on whether it can be even now. Keep my fingers crossed to hope that maybe it can be. 

Now the down side. 

This telescope is WAY more than I know how to use or can even imagine using to its full potential for a long time. But the promise of adventures to come is still pretty great. It is actually pretty exciting to think that I can't outgrow this telescope in a single summer of observation. That's what happened with my first two telescopes, even though I kept them for 3 and 5 years. They were good units, but I just reached maximum return for my equipment which I couldn't get beyond without substantial reinvestment. Thus, the move up to the 10" Meade. At the moment, though, I have to say that the move from my 8" Dob to the 10" Meade was not as dramatic as I expected, but that's just on inititial observation. The real proof will come when I start adding in the imaging that I want to do as well as the DSO work. I'm looking forward to many years of service from this unit. 

#12 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:06 AM

Good news, glad you got something that should be a great workhorse for years to come! For all things OTA related I would recommend spending time in the Cats & Casses forum - especially with any questions around collimation etc. Regarding the weight - dealing with the OTA and forks all at once was one of the reasons I deforked my Meade 10" and put it onto a GEM (that and the eventuality of wanting to do good astrophotography). The total package weighs a lot more than the forked setup, but it breaks down into manageable pieces. And it gives me the option to mount different OTAs on the mount depending on the particular night.

Good luck on your new journey, I know it will be exciting!

• doc_cj likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics