•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Whirling Dervish Nebula-NGC 3247

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seeker372011

seeker372011

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney , Australia

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:16 PM

I imaged  this object way back in May 2009. At that time I found no amateur images of this object.  In fact, catalogues listed the object as a galactic open cluster - and Hartung wrote that John Herschel had made a mistake in describing this object  as  " a decidedly nebulous group". Well, Hartung was wrong, and there is plenty of nebulosity here.

And in possibly an extreme case of pareidolia I saw a whirling dervish- and decided to name the object accordingly.
I think I posted that image here in CN at the time.

12 years later i revisited this target over the course of several nights in April, capturing 16 hours of data- and here is the result. Can you see the flowing twirling skirts? the raised arms? the turban ? I cant unsee this - and stand by the name!

I see this name being used by other amateur astronomers as well, so I does seem to have caught on.
anyway its a really interesting area and not often imaged, though much more often these days than in 2009!

I hope you like it ! Comments and suggestions welcome!

larger image over on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/2kXajtZ

17474B21-1FA9-4D62-B8AD-D2579677F243.jpeg

• psandelle, havasman, rekokich and 5 others like this

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:31 PM

Never heard of this one before.  Nice image.  Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics