•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

STUDY CLAIMS POSSIBILITY OF LIFE ON MARS !

Planet
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rekokich

rekokich

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:58 AM

https://www.popularm...s-life-on-mars/

Download original study PDF here:

https://www.research...quential_Images

It seems unlikely that rapid fungal growth is possible at such low temperatures, and in the (? nearly) total absence of organic matter. But, Nature is not confined to the human sphere of experience.

More will be revealed...

#2 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2021 - 06:33 AM

The story goes (From Carl Sagan's "Cosmos") that back in the day, a overly zealous reporter who wanted to be the "first at something" and was caught up in "Mars mania" (this really goes back, like late 19th century) needed a scoop really badly. so he sent a telegram to one of the Astronomers on staff at the Lowell Observatory: Send ASAP collect, 500 word report on whether or not there is Life On Mars.

So, the Astronomer sent a telegram back to the reporter; "Nobody Knows" 250 times. Such was the thinking at the turn of the 19th Century.

Some organized groups even went so far as to draw up plans to write, in very large wheat fields in states like Kansas, a message to the Martians. Then, when it was close to opposition to lite the Kerosene, which would have been saturated into message and hopefully be bright enough to have been seen by any "Martians" who just happened to be observing Earth thru a telescope at that time (I suppose a "Martian" version of Percival Lowell). Imagine a Martian version of "the War of the World's", LOL!

Bu the story which really is my favorite and really takes the cake. Is the one about a very wealthy widow who printed in certain American papers an announcement that the first person/group who could somehow make contact with extra-terrestrials would win a $1,000,000.00 

prize. But that Mars didn't count because that would be "too easy".

So, is there life on Mars? Yes, absolutely....actually, I mean No of course not! ....but then again, Yes. ....wait, ask me again when the very frist Astronauts from Earth actually arrive on Mars...then I'll tell you.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#3 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:09 AM

No, NASA photos are not evidence of fungus growing on Mars, sorry

https://www.cnet.com...rowing-on-mars/

#4 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:25 AM

Nature is not confined to the human sphere of experience.

More will be revealed...

Didn't read the article, just the title screams sensationalism but your comments that I quoted gets a big thumbs up from me.

#5 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

Nothing wrong with claiming a "possibility" of life on Mars.  They are not saying there "is" so just an opinion.  I mean every single time NASA finds some organic chemical someplace they the big headlines are "BUILDING BLOCK OF LIFE FOUND" or such other nonsense that implies there must be life there.  When someone finds something wiggling or walking of-Earth, then it's time to perk up shocked.gif   Doubt that will happen anytime soon though.  And then after humans go extinct, I wonder who will be around to continue the search for life lol.gif  We really need to start seeding life elsewhere as it just may be an exceedingly rare thing in the universe.  So makes no sense on hording it in this one lonely spot in the universe.  Always better to share! grin.gif

Edited by BillP, 10 May 2021 - 11:13 AM.

• Miguelo likes this

#6 Jacob112

Jacob112

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

I suppose the only forms of live that are now on Mars are Perseverance, Ingenuity and Zhurong.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics