•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New CEM26 Arrived!

EQ Equipment Imaging Mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Karlp295

Karlp295

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 04:23 AM

Yesterday after almost a three month wait my new CEM26 Ioptron mount arrived and I've put it together and hope to use it tonight if the clouds part. A new learning curve for me as I had never used an EQ mount before. Managed to balance my mount easily and will try to polar align for the first time with the inbuilt accu align polar scope.

Anybody else have this mount? I will let you know how things go and eventually will put up a review on my website AstroImagery.com when I get to that. Excited? You bet!

• zjc26138, limeyx and Avgvstvs like this

#2 nyx

nyx

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:20 AM

Maybe you'd like to take a look here:

https://www.cloudyni...t-cloudy-night/

#3 daveco2

daveco2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:41 AM

And this could be helpful.  Wish it had been available when setting up me CEM40, and will come back to the article as I’m also looking to go to the 26.  

https://www.cloudyni...new-gem45-r3296

#4 Karlp295

Karlp295

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:52 AM

Last night I had my first go at using this my first EQ mount. Here's what I achieved and some hilarious mistakes!

1. Polar aligned with accu align and wrestled with it for twenty minutes until I realised I had left the cap on in front of the scope! Haha. After that it was easy. Just used an app on my iphone and it worked well.

2. Balanced the rig with some difficulty for the first time and watched a couple of youtube videos and fiddled a lot until I got it right. Done.

3. Figured out the hand control as its a bit different from the Celestron one I used before with my alt az mount. Quite easy to use actually once I actually remembered to look at which button I was pressing first.

First Results:

It seems that I was able to go much further than the 30 seconds max exposure with my previous mount. 

Unguided I tested 30, 60, 120, 180 and 300 seconds exposure. They all looked OK except for the 5 minute one. To much! I settled for 2 minute exposures and there was minimal star trailing.

I shot into the north to the Iris Nebula and saw very little drift throughout the night. I didn't need to make corrections. With my previous alt az I regular had to reframe the target and of course it rotated. 

What a joy it is to finally use an EQ mount - no rotation, better tracking, longer exposures.

That said I made a mistake by choosing to image the Cave Nebula with no filter and forgot to take darks!!!

I think the Cave Nebula must be an extremely dim target and the image was almost non existent perhaps with darks added and using a filter (optolong L Pro I have), should possibly work next time.

Tonight is clear again and I will try to image Bode's Nebula - is 2 minute exposures a good idea?

This way I can compare to my previous attempts with 30s.

All good!

The mount is looking good!

FYI I am in Bortle 5 skies, and my mount has approx. 10 lbs on it, max. payload for the CEM 26 is 26 lbs. 

Clear skies everyone!

• limeyx likes this

#5 daveco2

daveco2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:26 AM

Congratulations!  Sounds like the story of my first outing.  Your notes on the CEM26 are interesting, because I'm thinking of paring down my system to reduce weight.

You could get some great targets in Cygnus that rise at midnight and transit E-NE until dawn - Sadr Area, Veil Nebula, North America Nebula, Dumbbell Nebula.  You just need to shift the session from starting at sunset to starting at midnight.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EQ, Equipment, Imaging, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics