•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron CEM25P won't align

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tom3

Tom3

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

Hello,
Last night I tried to align my mount to Arcturus, it would slew from the zero position to near Arcturus but after that I could not move the mount to get Arcturus in my crosshairs. I tried various slew speeds but nothing happened it just stood still and I couldn't move it in DEC or RA. I tried 3 times before giving up.  I have emailed iOptron.

Tom

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:35 AM

Sorry to hear about the problem.  This will hopefully be a very silly suggestion, but could your slewing rate have been turned to so slow that you didn't recognize that it was moving when you pressed the motion buttons?

#3 Tom3

Tom3

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:41 AM

I tried several slew rates while watching through the finder scope, and the star in the finder did not move. (That star was too dim to be Arcturus, and my laser pointer indicated that I was a couple degrees from Arcturus).

Tom

#4 dx_ron

dx_ron

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

Did the mount move at all after this? In other words, did you try to slew it back to the zero position, or anywhere else? Can you set the mount up with no load (just the counterweight bar, because that is required to balance the dec head)? Does it move then using the arrow keys?

#5 Tom3

Tom3

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:46 AM

I slewed the mount back to zero position about two or three times and then tried to align on Arcturus again and had similar results. It would not move again unless I asked it to goto another location or back to zero.

Tom

#6 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:57 AM

sounds like maybe a problem with your handset or handset-to-mount cable (presuming the CEM 25P uses a corded handset, I know there are many differences between the cem and zeq, but I don't recall if that was one of them). The connector end can become "dicey" and I'd think that was possible even on a new cable (mfg/qc error), as unfortunate as that might be. Not saying it IS, but it reminds me of my own issues with cabling at various times both with my zeq-25 and with another scope. Intermittent connection at the rj11 (I think it's rj11) connector can also happen as a result of heavy dewing. Or at least it's happened to me.

Edited by xiando, 08 May 2021 - 11:59 AM.

• Michael Covington likes this

#7 Tom3

Tom3

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 12:10 PM

I will check the cabling the next time out, but it does respond to goto commands, just not adjustments.

Can you set the mount up with no load (just the counterweight bar, because that is required to balance the dec head)? Does it move then using the arrow keys?

I will also try this the next time out.

Tom

#8 dx_ron

dx_ron

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 08 May 2021 - 02:00 PM

You can test without a load any time, even indoors. It sounds like there is nothing wrong with the motors/gears. I'm with xiando in thinking it could be the handset itself or the connection between handset and mount.

#9 Tom3

Tom3

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 02:09 PM

I recently adjusted the RA worm gear, and I did not get it just right, so I am going to re-adjust the worm gear to get it right before other testing.

Tom

#10 Tom3

Tom3

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:03 PM

No load test.JPG I did a no-load test this afternoon, and the mount responded after pointing to Sirius after choosing one star aligment.  I was then able move the mount at various slew speed as if trying to center the star. I attached a board to the dovetail saddle to make movement more apparent.  I hope to see tonight if it now works under load.

Edited by Tom3, 10 May 2021 - 08:07 PM.

#11 Tom3

Tom3

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:11 AM

Everything worked well last night, it must've been plugging the handset in again made a better connection. Thanks for the various suggestions I have gotten on this issue.

Tom

• xiando and eyeoftexas like this

#12 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:21 AM

Look into water displacement agents (can't think of the term) made for protecting electrical contacts, which you might consider applying to critical junctions like these connectors (handset, the guiding port cable, etc...I even treated the internal connectors on my ZEQ-25). Usually comes in a gel or spray. I prefer the gel, but whatever. 

Edited by xiando, 11 May 2021 - 11:28 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics