•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone seen a good transport solution for a RASA 8 with Guidescope?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 08 May 2021 - 04:50 PM

I've been using a case from Road Cases USA that I custom ordered for my 8-inch RASA. But now I'm going to try to learn to dither. Once I attach a guidescope, isn't it typical (desirable?) to leave the guidescope attached when transporting the OTA? Sigh. So will I now most likely need to find a different case, capable of handling the extra height brought on by the guidescope? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share.

#2 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:14 PM

I don''t think the guide scope needs to be aligned with the main scope? the whole point of rings is so so that the guidescope can be adjusted to find a suitable guide star if needed. I don't think you will have any problems using the case you already have and attaching and re-attaching your guidescope?

Though having said that I always leave my guidescope attached to my refractor.

• EmeraldHills and MikeMiller like this

#3 andysea

andysea

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:20 PM

With my RASA 8 I used the QHY mini guide scope which attaches to the finder base on the RASA ( I can't remember if the RASA comes with one but it has tapped holes to attach one). I would remove the guide scope for transport.
Unless your way of mounting the guide scope to the RASA is very elaborate and time consuming, I see no reason not to remove the guide scope during transport.

Edited by andysea, 09 May 2021 - 10:49 AM.

• EmeraldHills likes this

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Skylab

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:38 PM

It is not going to matter too much if your guide scope is not aligned to the optical axis of the telescope. I just use a vixen rail and a clamp for easy removal for transportation. This of course allows the easy switching of the guide scope assembly between different telescopes.

• EmeraldHills likes this

#5 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:20 AM

Great news. Thanks everyone.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics