•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flattener introduces coma-like aberrations on the corners. Backfocus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blueslikehail

Blueslikehail

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:12 PM

Hi,

I have taken this picture with an ES ED80, a Starfield 0.8x reducer/flattener with a Canon 100D (APS-C size sensor).

The flattener corrected the field curvature but introduced some coma-like aberrations on the corners. The specs of ED80 are within those recommended by the manufacturer, and the backfocus is 55mm, which is what I have with standard T-ring.

So is this to be expected (although the description says should correct the field on aps-c sized sensors). Can it be corrected by further fine tuning the backfocus? 

Would love to know your experienced opinion, Thanks!

W.

#2 Blueslikehail

Blueslikehail

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:25 PM

Forgot the file. This is a left crop of the picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• NA_Half.jpg

#3 Blueslikehail

Blueslikehail

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:26 PM

Center of FOV is in the middle of the right edge of the picture

#4 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:03 AM

If the stars are rotated about the centre of frame in all corners, rather than pointing away from the centre, this suggests the CC is too far from the sensor.

#5 Northrim

Northrim

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:01 PM

I agree with Michael 8554 in post #4.  It's very subtle but it does look like the stars in the corners are slightly elongated around the center rather than away from the center.  I think your camera is just a tiny bit  too far away from the reducer/flattener.  

The 55 mm is not necessarily  precise.  I have an ES ED 80 with an ES flattener  and I'm at about 66mm and still need to move out farther.  Some on the forum have reported needing 70mm + for a stated 55 mm backfocus.  Seems you have the  opposite  issue.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics