•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leveling your mount, yes or no

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 astrobeast

astrobeast

Mariner 2

• Loc: Milford, CT

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:15 PM

I sat down to post a variation on this same question and saw this thread!! I can think of no reason as to why the answer isn't the same.

I'm putting a pier in my back yard (9x9" wood "box" made of 2x8's) and was looking for the pier top adapters. Came across a used CGE adapter plate on AstroM, but was missing the pier plate assembly that is normally sold with it that allows you to adjust tilt and azimuth. But since my mount has an azimuth and elevation adjustment, I was thinking, I really don't see the point.  I have a means of attaching just the mount adapter plate directly to the top of the pier. 

I'll assemble the whole thing and use a level when I pour the concrete to make it as level as possible, and I can always put thin washers between the plate and the top of the pier on the appropriate screw if I want to finesse levelness. It is not as convenient as having the adjustment screws accessible, but like, how often am I going to do this....?

So am I missing something here?

#27 Nippon

Nippon

Skylab

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:48 PM

This is just a general question relating to goto motorized mounts.   Some say level does not matter for polar aligning or pointing.  I can see if the front leg of the pier / tripod is high or low but not the east or west leg.   How does the altitude and azimuth adjustment compensate for that??

I try to level all of my mounts,  as true as i can.

Just asking,  Joe

What I have found with a goto mount is the more level it is the closer it gets to the first alignment star. But after that it does not seem to matter. 

#28 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:30 PM

Nothing matters more than a parallel axis...think about it.
  • daw316 likes this

#29 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:23 PM

Nothing matters more than a parallel axis...think about it.

Hmmm, my mount has perpendicular axis...  scratchhead2.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics