•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12.5"/f4.8 build advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 royjohn

royjohn

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:49 PM

So I have a 12.5"/f4.8 mirror with a 2.6" diagonal (out of a Meade Starfinder) and a 2 speed focuser. To complete a dob, I'll need a tube and a box as well as a mirror cell and a spider for the diagonal. Eventually I'll get a poncet platform for it, but right now I'm just stumped as to what kind of tube and mirror cell I ought to use. Any comments or advice appreciated. Never done this before...thx, royjohn

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:56 PM

I'd do a truss and build your own cell

• SteveV, Pinbout and TOMDEY like this

#3 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:27 PM

If you are going to be traveling a lot with the 12.5", I agree with above and make it a truss design that you can break down for easy transport.   If staying in one place, then a solid tube would be fine and easier to build, keep collimated, etc.

Here are some ideas to build or buy a mirror cell:

http://www.dobstuff.com/mirrorcell.htm

Edited by otocycle, 08 May 2021 - 10:30 PM.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:00 PM

Have you built any telescope mount before? The Dobsonian mount for a 12-incher is quite doable for a first structure project. And the Poncet Platform can be an add-on later. Just build your scope with that in mind --- that it should tolerate leaning five or even more degrees off plumb without deciding to spin or crash. You could build the platform... but that's rather advanced. Buying one would make more sense, for most of us.    Tom

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics