•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New mount! But which one?

Mount Equipment EQ
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DubyaB

DubyaB

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:08 PM

The wife and I were trying to image M81 and M3 last night. Our mount is an old LXD55 that we bought used. We haven't been able to get the alignment and go-to function of the mount to work  but we have gotten a bit of a thrill out of finding targets manually. 

However, the amount of imaging time we lost while manually star hopping last night was enough to prompt the wife to say, we need to buy a new mount. 

So I'm here to ask you all what equipment you would recommend. We're looking at the Atlas II EQ-G, the Celestron CGX, and the Sky Watcher EQ6-Pro.

The scopes that we have are an Orion ST80, Mead LX70 R6, Meade AR5, a Lumicon Superfinder 82mm (future guidescope), and a Meade 12.5" Starfinder. 

I'm attracted to the payload capacity of the CGX because I'd like for us to have the ability to carry the OTAs we currently have and to have room to grow but I know there's a lot more to consider than just payload.

Looking forward to reading your replies!

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:48 AM

From your list, I would personally choose the SkyWatcher EQ6-Pro.

It's not the newest, or latest and greatest, or the most portable, but it's a reliable workhorse.  There are lots of these things out there doing imaging.  For the price, I don't think that you can beat them to get started in deep sky imaging.

The Atlas is essentially the same mount as the SkyWatcher.  The only reason that I would avoid it, is that Orion has had a policy (and I'm not sure if they still do) of not selling parts, except to the original owner.  That makes them less desirable for buying (and thus selling) used.

• JCT likes this

#3 JCT

JCT

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:57 AM

Another vote for the EQ6R-Pro,  it's been a workhorse for me as well.  

I'm in the process of switching to a NUC-based imaging approach and it's been a great test-bed because it doesn't get in my way and under good conditions really tracks well.

Some jealousy here re: getting to image with your spouse, have yet to get my husband out there with me!

JT

#4 DubyaB

DubyaB

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:36 PM

From your list, I would personally choose the SkyWatcher EQ6-Pro.

It's not the newest, or latest and greatest, or the most portable, but it's a reliable workhorse.  There are lots of these things out there doing imaging.  For the price, I don't think that you can beat them to get started in deep sky imaging.

The Atlas is essentially the same mount as the SkyWatcher.  The only reason that I would avoid it, is that Orion has had a policy (and I'm not sure if they still do) of not selling parts, except to the original owner.  That makes them less desirable for buying (and thus selling) used.

Thats some good advice about the spare parts issue. I had no idea. I will have to give the EQ6-Pro more consideration. I see a lot of folks use them and love them but it doesn't offer me much headroom on the payload capacity. Sounds like its worth some thought.

#5 DubyaB

DubyaB

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:42 PM

Another vote for the EQ6R-Pro,  it's been a workhorse for me as well.  

I'm in the process of switching to a NUC-based imaging approach and it's been a great test-bed because it doesn't get in my way and under good conditions really tracks well.

Some jealousy here re: getting to image with your spouse, have yet to get my husband out there with me!

JT

I need to look up NUC based imaging I haven't learned about that yet. What conditions bother your EQ6R the most? is it wind that it struggles with?

The wife and I used to go stargazing back when we were dating. We've only gotten into astronomy together over the last couple of years but we are enjoying it whenever we can get a clear night together. She works 3rd shift so sometimes the clouds and the wife are gone at the same time.

#6 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:03 PM

I'm going to ask,  did you look at Losmandy???   GM8,  GM811??  Give them a call and go on their user site.  Joe

https://groups.io/g/Losmandy_users

http://losmandy.com/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Equipment, EQ

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics