•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Saturn 9th May

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:02 AM

Had another go this morning, tricky conditions with fog hanging low in the valleys and wet with dew.
By the time you set the telescope up and let it get used to the cool air for a while, you haven't got long
before the mirror starts to fog up. Defog with the hairdryer and then you have to leave it settle for about 10 minutes,
and before you know it it's getting daylight already! Anyway, this is what I got from this morning:
424 C - Copy.png
Jup_040646_lapl5_ap150_Drizzle30 C - Copy.png
  • Sunspot, Magellanico, Kenny V. and 11 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:04 AM

Good work, we have had a lot of damp and fog here as well,...your continual fine output keeps making me think of whether to forgo the convenience of my C8 and get and try and mastera go-to Dob!

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:13 PM

Nice work Q..! waytogo.gif

...on a sadder note your comments here Ross...& those of Andrew last week (I think) has me thinking of my friend Rob's 16" SkyWatcher Go To dob sitting unused on his patio at Mt. Torrens. We dropped in to see him & his wife Margo last week...Rob has early-onset dementia & has not been too good at all nowadays - he used to be a regular here on CN, posting as Clayton Bigwood: I did think of asking Margo about this scope & a couple of others he possesses, not from a personal perspective but as gear getting dusty & rusty...but then thought that it would be rude to, even though he will never use them again now. frown.gif Maybe down the track might be another story...

#4 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:56 PM

Dementia is a very sad way to painfully exit and it happens to so many of us. Its a cloud that blots out high points of the days as well as the nights. It sounds like your friend has already lost a lot of his life and it is sad to think of the impact on family.  I certainly worry about it for myself when I compare my faculties now to, say 15 years ago...not sure how much spare processing power I still have.  And like you I do not like the thought of astro gear heading for the dumpster.  At the moment I can hope that the youngest of mine can take potentially develop an interest in using some of my gear which clearly the much older one lacks, but it is a strong argument to not completely fill the shed with more gear that is broadly similar to what I have.

#5 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:40 PM

Thanks guys, yes dementia is not very nice- my Grandma is getting it but she is 95.
A lot of the really good images seem to be coming from C14 and similar C scopes, I haven't
seen many examples of what a 16" SW can do. Have seen some nice ones from 12 and 14" Skywatchers.
I think if I'd get another one I'd skip the 12 and 14 and get a 16. But I've been happy with
the 10" as a general purpose first scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics