•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

jupiter ... i will wait another month

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:30 AM

still way to low here anyway , i will wait another month 16 inch f7 asi 224 acdc corrector 2x barlow 2021-05-09-1018_7-L-Jup_AS_p50_g6_ap35_convps.jpg

• Magellanico, Jeffrey C., tboss70 and 22 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:00 AM

Yes there is a danger you will take out some local infrastructure if you are aiming that big bazooka of yours too close to the horizon!

But even this image while not a showcase of your talent, has a bit of character,  was the seeing good?  You might just need more cooperative local conditions.

#3 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:13 AM

Oh yes, an absolutely terrible image!  Not.  I should be so lucky.  lol.gif

• dcaponeii likes this

#4 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:37 AM

Yes there is a danger you will take out some local infrastructure if you are aiming that big bazooka of yours too close to the horizon!

But even this image while not a showcase of your talent, has a bit of character,  was the seeing good?  You might just need more cooperative local conditions.

seeing is never good with this scope pointing low. In another hours time it would have become a much better image

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

Totally with you, Joe. Nice try, anyway - it's often better to get the self-reassurance rather than pondering "what if ....?" for a few weeks.

I made the decision after last season that it's still to early (year-wise) for imaging Jupiter & Saturn from 40N. You do have the advantage of a few degrees over me, of course :)

However, having seen some of the results people are already posting from temperate latitudes has me rethinking sitting out 2021. Hmmm...... 

Thanks for taking the time to post. I love what you can do from FL.

Grant

• dcaponeii likes this

#6 nfotis

nfotis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:44 AM

Very nice, thinking about trying my luck from Athens in a few days (these are rising too near the sun at dawn at the moment)

N.F.

#7 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:56 PM

Good call. Totally awful image.

Edited by kevinbreen, 09 May 2021 - 04:53 PM.

#8 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:47 PM

ha ha ha Are you trying to be funny lolrofl2.gif

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:57 PM

...I don't think so Joe - you know that I wouldn't post such a lousy image personally..! grin.gif

• dcaponeii likes this

#10 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:48 PM

I guess the seeing got better but this was after sun rise

2021-05-09-1047_7-L-Jup_AS_p50_g6_ap49_conv2.jpg i think sun rise here was shortly after 1030

• tboss70, RedLionNJ and Lacaille like this

#11 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

i just wanted to post something here thats it till things get  morrer betterer

#12 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

an astronomer with a sence of humor ???? un thinkable

• Jaimo! and Lacaille like this

#13 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:55 PM

I don't think he's trying Ferret!   It's all part of the package!

#14 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

Yeah! But seriously that's a very nice Jupiter indeed.
Incidentally, I just got an f/4 10" to play with. As luck would have it the weather's been rotten so far though. Questions for you, Joe, if you dinny mind?

How do you collimate yours? I use a laser collimator during the daytime in my dark shed. Should I then collimate on a star when the clouds clear? That's a hell of a lot of knobs to fiddle with - 6 at the back at the primary and 3 at the secondary?
Also, how on earth did you get your bazooka up on your mount? Did you use a crane? Or a helicopter? Or are you a superhero with superhuman strength?

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:08 PM

<"Or are you a superhero with superhuman strength?">

Oh no! - I sense that we are going to see that photo of Joe standing in front of his bazooka wearing his muscle-shirt & looking ripped again...sort of..!?! :rofl:

#16 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:39 PM

Yeah! But seriously that's a very nice Jupiter indeed.
Incidentally, I just got an f/4 10" to play with. As luck would have it the weather's been rotten so far though. Questions for you, Joe, if you dinny mind?

How do you collimate yours? I use a laser collimator during the daytime in my dark shed. Should I then collimate on a star when the clouds clear? That's a hell of a lot of knobs to fiddle with - 6 at the back at the primary and 3 at the secondary?
Also, how on earth did you get your bazooka up on your mount? Did you use a crane? Or a helicopter? Or are you a superhero with superhuman strength?

I figure out ways to use gravity in my favor. or with the solid toilet paper tube I get another ferret on the other side of the scope and pick it up and place it in the cradle. with the wobly magic moving truss tube i just bolt on th box and build it up from there. as for colimating I have one of those little donut center roundy thingys on the mirror so i just use the chesterairy eyepiece and thats it i also do double check with the laser and i figure when they both agree thats when its colimated. I was told long ago that with longer f ratios perfect colimation is not quite as critical . it also seems that if i dont mess with my 80mm ed finder once the scope is colimated jupiter always winds up in the same spot on my iluminated eyepiece i use in the finder. graduate.sml.gif i use the one with all the different measuring stuff on it.

If this scope would land in the hands of a novice or one of those over fussy types they would be lucky if they spent all night anfd got something. the whole scope is user un friendly. thnk god i dont use it for astronomy Just imaging planets and the moon. im still waiting for the street lights to go away. but i have been thinking of checking out m13 or the lagoon neb. but all i have for eyepieces is an old scratched up 13 mm nagller i nick named dropsy because iv dropped it so many times. even put a mark on my mirror when i was trying to figure out why my stars had a spike coming off one side, that was before i built the 18 point cell, now when its colimated Serious looks like a pin point like in a refractor at low power... lol serious Sirus   THE BRIGHT ONE NEAR ORION SHEESH MY SPELL CHECKING CANT FIGURE IT OUTflame.gif

#17 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:23 PM

...where's that pikky of you in your muscle-shirt Joe..? I've always thought of you as "The Incredible Ferret!grin.gif

#18 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:08 PM

...where's that pikky of you in your muscle-shirt Joe..? I've always thought of you as "The Incredible Ferret!grin.gif

I have one way better than that I have to get it from one of the girls at work

#19 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:09 PM

the giant tp tube who says astronomers are all geeky skinny guys lol

Attached Thumbnails

• 16 inch f7 newt.jpg

Edited by moonwatching ferret, 10 May 2021 - 10:10 PM.

• tboss70, Kenny V., eros312 and 9 others like this

#20 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:11 PM

Holy smokes!!

#21 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:22 AM

Good heavens! That’s gigantic yet beautifully poised! Same goes for the telescope too!

#22 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:41 AM

I figure out ways to use gravity in my favor. or with the solid toilet paper tube I get another ferret on the other side of the scope and pick it up and place it in the cradle. with the wobly magic moving truss tube i just bolt on th box and build it up from there. as for colimating I have one of those little donut center roundy thingys on the mirror so i just use the chesterairy eyepiece and thats it i also do double check with the laser and i figure when they both agree thats when its colimated. I was told long ago that with longer f ratios perfect colimation is not quite as critical . it also seems that if i dont mess with my 80mm ed finder once the scope is colimated jupiter always winds up in the same spot on my iluminated eyepiece i use in the finder. graduate.sml.gif i use the one with all the different measuring stuff on it.
If this scope would land in the hands of a novice or one of those over fussy types they would be lucky if they spent all night anfd got something. the whole scope is user un friendly. thnk god i dont use it for astronomy Just imaging planets and the moon. im still waiting for the street lights to go away. but i have been thinking of checking out m13 or the lagoon neb. but all i have for eyepieces is an old scratched up 13 mm nagller i nick named dropsy because iv dropped it so many times. even put a mark on my mirror when i was trying to figure out why my stars had a spike coming off one side, that was before i built the 18 point cell, now when its colimated Serious looks like a pin point like in a refractor at low power... lol serious Sirus THE BRIGHT ONE NEAR ORION SHEESH MY SPELL CHECKING CANT FIGURE IT OUTflame.gif

I see.

I take it "chesterairy" is Ferretese for Cheshire?
Why wouldn't the laser alone be sufficient?
So you never collimate on a star then? It's best to collimate on a star with an SCT, that's why I'm curious.
Anyone else got any opinions on collimating a newt? Maybe I should post the question is a separate thread.
Congrats on posting once again the most posted pic on CN, the human cannonball apparatus AKA your formidable planet-crusher
  • Kokatha man likes this

#23 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:58 AM

Behold The Incredible Ferret"..!!! lol.gif

New viewers of this pikky (so well encapsulated in Kev's last sentence above) will note how Joe the Ferret has drop-kicked the old secondary cage assembly his scope came with onto the lawn in preference for the "(heavy) field artillery look!  (not sure if viewers outside Oz understand that term "drop-kick" - they might have to GoOZle it! grin.gif )

#24 nfotis

nfotis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:36 PM

the giant tp tube who says astronomers are all geeky skinny guys lol

If I understand correctly, that's a Cassegrain at 2840mm focal length? Never seen such a beast.

N.F.

Edited by nfotis, 13 May 2021 - 06:36 PM.

#25 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:41 PM

If I understand correctly, that's a Cassegrain at 2840mm focal length? Never seen such a beast.

N.F.

Please, do not encourage Herr Ferret any further. They say a picture paints a thousand words. Let that be the end of it.

His tube is enormous and frightening.

Let that be the end of it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics