•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Colour or mono with and without filters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iwols

iwols

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:00 AM

Hi for someone whos mainly done dso, which of the above would be most suited to planetary mainly moon, saturn and jupiter with my c8 edge thanks 

Edited by iwols, 09 May 2021 - 07:00 AM.

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

Well, if you are experienced with mono already, have a good set of filters and an efw (which you appear to have), then a mono camera would probably be preferred. It's hard to advise on a specific camera without some knowledge of your budget, if you want to capture the full moon with the C8 then you will need a larger sensor camera, something like the ASI183MM perhaps, but you will still need to mosaic the images as it's not big enough with the C8 (you should check your FOV here). If the full lunar disc is not as important, then the older ASI290MM is still used a lot here also.

Colour cameras are also very good and easier to use, the ASI224MC and 462MC are top cameras for planets, but too small for the entire moon in one shot.

Hope this helps, 

Andrew

• iwols likes this

#3 iwols

iwols

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Andrew any thought on my mono 414ex or could I use a 2.5 Barlow to make say jupiter or saturn larger

#4 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:27 AM

As far as I am aware, the best specs for planetary imaging are for a low read noise, fast data transfer through a USB3 port (preferred), with the optimal focal ratio approximately 5x the pixel size of the camera. From the specs I can see on the web, your 414 has high read noise (4e-), USB2 port and large pixels (6.45 microns).

A planetary camera like the 183MM has small pixels (2.4 microns), fast USB3 transfer and low read noise (1.5e-). The 290MM has 2.9 micron pixels and 1e- read noise. The 224MC and 462MC colour cameras have even lower read noise levels.

You can certainly try using the 414 and it will produce a good image, but it won't be optimal for your setup.

Edited by Tulloch, 10 May 2021 - 08:29 AM.

• iwols likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics