•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about Iris Nebula :)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cojo2657

cojo2657

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:48 AM

Hello photographers!

I'm just looking for a bit of advice about a recent DSO I imaged.

I've just gotten back into imaging and processing after taking a break over the winter.

I decided to image the Iris Nebula as I have a clear view of west / north / east horizons.

Equipment is:

* Canon Rebel T6i (Unmodified)

* Skytech CLS Filter

* WO Z61 APO w/ Field Flattener

* SkyGuider Pro w/ iPolar

* ZWO MiniScope & ZWO ASI120mm Mini (autoguider)

I believe this is my entire relevant equipment list, but let me know if I might have left something out that might be important.

The image attached has 28 lights at 4 minutes each and all of the calibration files (darks, flats, bias) stacked in DSS.

I'll add that the moon was not out this night, and it was almost a new moon anyways.

Processed with Photoshop, although I'm not a master.

I'm just concerned as to why I'm not getting any contrast / not picking up any space dust besides what can be seen in the very center.

I'm wondering if I may be doing something incorrectly to achieve these results? I've gotten some great photos with the same gear, and looking it up, Reflection nebula are great for unmodified DSLRs, so what gives?

Might anybody have any advice, suggestions, anything to achieve a more accurate image of the Iris Nebula?

I'm very new to all of this so identifying issues within my setup is extremely difficult for me so I'm just hoping the cloudynights forum can offer a little friendly assistance laugh.gif

https://imgur.com/a/626yIek Here is a link to my image of the Eastern Veil Nebula I took last summer at the same exact spot (Bortle 6/7) with the exact same gear, for reference.

Attached Thumbnails

• imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-RxQPiB03W3.jpg

Edited by cojo2657, 09 May 2021 - 08:00 AM.

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Gemini

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:55 AM

With nearly two hours of exposure time, I'd be surprised if there weren't some dust hiding in the data.  It might just need more work in processing to bring it out.

• ks__observer likes this

#3 cojo2657

cojo2657

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:05 AM

That's what I thought too.. I've redone the processing a few times in PS. I must be doing something differently than last time, it's been a while.

I've just been following Trevor from Astrobackyard's photoshop image processing tutorial, stretching the image then re calibrating the RGB levels after each stretch. That usually has done the trick in terms of getting contrast and color out of my images but for some reason the same method is returning horrible results on my image of the Iris Nebula :p

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Gemini

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:56 AM

Can you post the Autosave file from DSS to a file-sharing site?  It would be helpful to look at the data.

#5 cojo2657

cojo2657

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:10 AM

Can you post the Autosave file from DSS to a file-sharing site?  It would be helpful to look at the data.

Yes! Give me a moment. I really appreciate you taking the time :)

https://we.tl/t-amkhojvrJS here is a WeTransfer link to my autosave.tif file.

#6 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

How are you focusing? It looks a little out of focus compared to the Veil Nebula image. 

#7 cojo2657

cojo2657

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:55 AM

How are you focusing? It looks a little out of focus compared to the Veil Nebula image. 

That's entirely possible.

I was really just eye-balling it on a nearby star without using my batinov mask, but that may have been my problem.

I was going to try using the FocusAid tool in APT for the first time, but I guess I just felt like it was focused.

#8 kathyastro

kathyastro

Gemini

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:26 AM

It looks like the data are just not there.  At f/6, it's not an especially slow scope.  What ISO were you shooting at?  I don't know that camera, but most Canons are happiest at ISO 800 or 1600.

When I try to stretch it enough to see the dust, there's a background gradient that appears.  I can get rid of the gradient, but the dust is still well hidden in the noise.

I think the solution for this one is more data, and perhaps a higher ISO.

#9 cojo2657

cojo2657

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:29 AM

It looks like the data are just not there.  At f/6, it's not an especially slow scope.  What ISO were you shooting at?  I don't know that camera, but most Canons are happiest at ISO 800 or 1600.

When I try to stretch it enough to see the dust, there's a background gradient that appears.  I can get rid of the gradient, but the dust is still well hidden in the noise.

I think the solution for this one is more data, and perhaps a higher ISO.

That's pretty much the same story for me. I get the background gradient, which I can remove mostly, but the dust is still hidden in the noise.

I was shooting at an ISO of 1000. I could bump it up to 1600 and go for double the data to see if I can get something out of it.

I was also thinking about trying to image the Veil Nebula again to see if I get similar results to last year. Might rule out a few issues.

#10 TXLS99

TXLS99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest USA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:00 PM

The Iris is a tough target to image. The dust is faint and not easy to capture. From your location, and factoring in your results with 2 hrs, I would guess you would need a total of about 8hrs to really get it to pop.

Edited by TXLS99, 09 May 2021 - 01:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics