•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to get RA and DEC of a FIT image

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hernando, FL

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

Very much a novice. I shot an image last night but not sure if it’s Bodes Galaxy. I was hoping I slewed to it but not sure as I had to move the scope around to find it. I uploaded the FIT image to nova.astronomy.net. Nowhere do I see RA and DEC coordinates referenced.

How can I confirm this image is Bodes Galaxy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk4ee736ef439d8ce9d2925a9b9a645e94.jpg

Edited by Gbarr56, 09 May 2021 - 09:35 AM.

#2 wizbang396

wizbang396

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:46 AM

Go to internet, look up RA and DEC, check images on net to compare with yours (which is not clear enough) to see if the star formation is the same.  Otherwise you need to check your mount info which should be on the hand paddle.  Which mount are you using?  Did you align properly to the pole?  Next time you set up align, then go to a nearby star (close to your intended object ) sync on it, then goto object to be imaged.  

#3 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:51 AM

Go to internet, look up RA and DEC, check images on net to compare with yours (which is not clear enough) to see if the star formation is the same. Otherwise you need to check your mount info which should be on the hand paddle. Which mount are you using? Did you align properly to the pole? Next time you set up align, then go to a nearby star (close to your intended object ) sync on it, then goto object to be imaged.

I have an Orion Atlas Pro. I did polar align and I’m not using the hand control as connected to EQMOD and SGPRO and Stellarium via computer. It kind of looks like it thought was to get RA and DEC spit out after plate solving via website.

Can you point me to some reference “to sync on it”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Gbarr56, 09 May 2021 - 09:52 AM.

#4 rblackadar

rblackadar

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:05 PM

Did you ever figure this out? Sorry for the lack of responses, but I think it's hard to answer some of your questions. Especially for me, as I don't have a go-to mount...  but that said...

If it helps any, don't think that galaxy is Bode's -- the star pattern looks all wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is -- seems like none of the nearby suspects are a match. Can you eyeball what way the OTA is pointing and see if it's even in the right part of the sky? Very odd that you could just stumble onto a galaxy like that, in some random part of the sky, perhaps you told it to slew to a different galaxy by mistake? But hey, the good news is that it's a respectable galaxy, and when you do find M81 it's sure to look even bigger and brighter than that.

What I would suggest, in my ignorance, is to reduce your system to the basics, detach it from the computer if you can, tell your mount to slew to a bright star like Arcturus (or Dubhe, if you want something closer to M81) and see with your own eyes if that much is working. Or if you've already done that, start from there and keep adding stuff to find the exact point that it ceases to work; then with that info, someone here is more likely to know how to help. Good luck!

#5 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the response. It is much appreciated.  I was able to get my answer.  I just uploaded my image to https://nova.astrometry.net and 5 minutes later it analyzed my image and analyzed the following:  https://nova.astrometry.net/status/4483778

If you click on the image, it gives you all the details I was looking for.

Thanks also for your advice.

#6 iwannawon

iwannawon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Red zone, SW Houston, TX

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:32 PM

did it show as 'success'? sometime it sits in the queue for a while. refresh periodially on the results page but it definitely shows ra/dec in its results. see under 'calibration'. or you can download a local solver and library like astap rather than use online.

edit. oops. looks like i was writing at same time. glad to hear you figured it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• solve.jpg

Edited by iwannawon, 11 May 2021 - 09:33 PM.

#7 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:53 PM

Yep, saw that I did not have Bodes Galaxy but another one.  Need to learn plate solving.  Really need a clear night to keep the learning process moving forward.

#8 rblackadar

rblackadar

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:10 PM

Yep, saw that I did not have Bodes Galaxy but another one.  Need to learn plate solving.  Really need a clear night to keep the learning process moving forward.

Good luck on that -- around here it's been foggy the last several nights.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your issue and its resolution -- it's not like I really know my way around astronomy.net, and your response helped me out! Learning process for both of us.

#9 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:59 PM

Happy it helped you.  Will add this to my just started repertoire as I just learned it as well.  Yes, steep learning curve but nice to know all here are eager to help.  I just bought a lot of used AP equipment and yet to capture my first DSO.  It will be clear here tonight and hopefully I able to PA, get auto tracking in PHD2, and slew to M13 with some plate solving.   We'll see.  Good luck in your adventures.  Never heard of these terms 2 months ago.

#10 Trenor

Trenor

Explorer 1

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:36 PM

I had that happen to me once before I really got into plate solving. The object I wanted was not there but lucky there was two other small galaxies in the fame so I just went with it. I plate solved it the next day so I knew what the two galaxies were.

What capture software are you using? There is a good chance it does plate solving. I use NINA and it does a great job with plate solving and it was pretty easy to setup.

#11 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:08 PM

I use SGPro and it does have plate solving but need to learn how to use it.  I was hoping I could import/open the FIT file and then plate solve but not sure how to do that yet.

I can’t use NINA as my SBIG camera is not supported yet, if ever.

Edited by Gbarr56, 14 May 2021 - 02:09 PM.

#12 Trenor

Trenor

Explorer 1

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:10 PM

I use SGPro and it does have plate solving but need to learn how to use it.  I was hoping I could import/open the FIT file and then plate solve but not sure how to do that yet.

I can’t use NINA as my SBIG camera is not supported yet, if ever.

I've not used SGPro before so I'm not much help there. I'd look for a file camera option where you setup your camera. If you have an image that was taken with your telescope /camera you can use the file camera to load in in and test out your plate solve to make sure it is working before you go out. Again I'm not sure if SGPro has this option but maybe it will point you in the right direction.

Plate solving is the best thing. It saves me so much time in framing objects. Good Luck.

#13 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:02 PM

I've not used SGPro before so I'm not much help there. I'd look for a file camera option where you setup your camera. If you have an image that was taken with your telescope /camera you can use the file camera to load in in and test out your plate solve to make sure it is working before you go out. Again I'm not sure if SGPro has this option but maybe it will point you in the right direction.

Plate solving is the best thing. It saves me so much time in framing objects. Good Luck.

Yep, got it working in SGPro. I skewed right to my object, and it was centered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bobzeq25 and Trenor like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics