•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AR2822 (WL, HA, CaK) | May 9th 2021

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:45 AM

Heya,

Happy mother's day to all, hope you have a wonderful weekend or memory of your loved ones!

I was able to get a little sky time this morning, a quick 20ish minute session. Seeing was fairly good this morning with a much smaller temperature delta as my summer weather is rolling in after a weird cold snap in early May here in Florida. AR2822 presented in photosphere and the upper & lower chromosphere at the same image scales.

B&W:

51168447414_8948da32d2_c.jpg

51167896663_876c51bee2_c.jpg

51167671651_17e835a801_c.jpg

51167671146_907c0aca1d_c.jpg

Colored:

51168765675_66dffe9e9a_c.jpg

51167896443_34794e4620_c.jpg

51167671386_7f473986ae_c.jpg

51167896833_47c313b27a_c.jpg

Seeing:

Seeing_Conditions_05092021.jpg

Equipment:

120mm F10 (masked) achromatic doublet refractor
2" Baader Blue CCD IR Block Filter (internal sub-aperture D-ERF) -> Lunt CaK B1200 -> ASI290MM (CaK)
2" Baader Red CCD IR Block Filter (internal sub-aperture D-ERF) -> Baader ND3.0 Filter -> ASI290MM (WL)
2" Baader Red CCD IR Block Filter (internal sub-aperture D-ERF) -> HA filter + 1.7A x 2 BF Stack -> ASI290MM (HA)

Very best,

• peterm, SgrB2, philmor56 and 12 others like this

#2 chemman

chemman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:53 AM

Great shots Marty.  

My forcast is for snow for the next few days, lol.  

Chuck

• philmor56 and MalVeauX like this

#3 lorenzo italy

lorenzo italy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montichiari (Bs) Italy

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:13 AM

Beautiful pictures.
Looks like you had a good morning.
My wife thanks for Mother's Day greetings, and we reciprocate.

Lorenzo

• MalVeauX and hamers like this

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:24 AM

Nice ones Marty!  Glad you got some time in the sun.  Raining cats and dogs here at the moment!

• chemman and MalVeauX like this

#5 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:32 AM

You accomplished a lot in twenty minutes!

• MalVeauX likes this

#6 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:35 AM

Awesome images as usual from our resident solar AP guru!

• chemman and MalVeauX like this

#7 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:43 AM

Excellent set Marty.
  • MalVeauX likes this

#8 HPaleske

HPaleske

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

beautiful pictures, especailly the CaK I like it.

cs Harald

www.unigraphprom.de

• MalVeauX likes this

#9 hamers

hamers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:05 PM

Nice collection of images !!     How do you  do your artificial coloring?  I have done this taking the gray image into photoshop and then using hue/saturation. But your colors seem to come out especially nicely. Do you just use a "colored" grayscale, or do you do something fancier??

• MalVeauX likes this

#10 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:10 PM

Excellent Marty!! You image like no other - the Best! Great job

• MalVeauX likes this

#11 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 09 May 2021 - 04:08 PM

Thanks all, hope everyone is having a good weekend. Pretty awesome that this AR popped off an M class flare that knocked out some radio bands in North America on the 7th! I need to build a solar radio telescope or HAM radio to record these things one day.

How do you  do your artificial coloring?  I have done this taking the gray image into photoshop and then using hue/saturation. But your colors seem to come out especially nicely. Do you just use a "colored" grayscale, or do you do something fancier??

Hi,

I use a levels adjustment layer. I image in mono. My final image is taken into CS5.1 and I make it a RGB image (still B&W but now it has color channels). Then a simple levels adjustment layer will false color the entire image. You can adjust the R, G & B channels individually (the mid-point in each channel) in the levels adjustment. I saved a few values that I re-use as presets so I can instantly color by just applying the preset I made for both my yellow/orange and my purple so that it's consistent. I cover my general work flow in my tutorial here and at the end I show how I color with levels with my pre-sets. My yellow/orange is made with a levels adjustment where you set the mid-point in the levels to the following: red channel 1.6, green channel 0.8, & blue channel 0.2. You can of course adjust it and go deeper or go for other colors but this is what I use. For my UV, I do the same method but my values are: red channel 1.5, green channel 0.8, & blue channel 1.8. I do everything in layers so that I can quickly output any step within the workflow as a final image if I want. If you're interested, watch my 18~20 minute video tutorial on workflow linked above it should cover nearly every step rapidly.

Very best,

• hamers and astro rocketeer like this

#12 hopskipson

hopskipson

Gemini

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:44 PM

Nice ones,Marty! 

Hope everyone had a Happy and safe Mother's Day.

• MalVeauX likes this

#13 Hank Molesky

Hank Molesky

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:17 PM

My artist eye like images 3 & 7. A great way to spend 20 minutes!

• MalVeauX likes this

#14 hamers

hamers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:26 PM

Thanks all, hope everyone is having a good weekend. Pretty awesome that this AR popped off an M class flare that knocked out some radio bands in North America on the 7th! I need to build a solar radio telescope or HAM radio to record these things one day.

Hi,

I use a levels adjustment layer. I image in mono. My final image is taken into CS5.1 and I make it a RGB image (still B&W but now it has color channels). Then a simple levels adjustment layer will false color the entire image. You can adjust the R, G & B channels individually (the mid-point in each channel) in the levels adjustment. I saved a few values that I re-use as presets so I can instantly color by just applying the preset I made for both my yellow/orange and my purple so that it's consistent. I cover my general work flow in my tutorial here and at the end I show how I color with levels with my pre-sets. My yellow/orange is made with a levels adjustment where you set the mid-point in the levels to the following: red channel 1.6, green channel 0.8, & blue channel 0.2. You can of course adjust it and go deeper or go for other colors but this is what I use. For my UV, I do the same method but my values are: red channel 1.5, green channel 0.8, & blue channel 1.8. I do everything in layers so that I can quickly output any step within the workflow as a final image if I want. If you're interested, watch my 18~20 minute video tutorial on workflow linked above it should cover nearly every step rapidly.

Very best,

Awesome- thanks much!

• MalVeauX likes this

#15 MAURITS

MAURITS

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:46 AM

Beautiful Marty.

• MalVeauX likes this

#16 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:38 AM

Great shots Marty - very productive short session.  That CaK shot is a stunner! waytogo.gif

Roberto

• MalVeauX likes this

#17 peterm

peterm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:49 AM

Another round of FAB images indeed Marty!  Well done and Bravo.

• MalVeauX likes this

#18 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

Very best,

This is an excellent video and a must watch. This tutorial is the foundation to my own work and still up to today, i go back to re-watch the video step-by-step. Thanks Marty for doing this video!! 

• PhotonJohn and MalVeauX like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics