•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fuji 10x50 bino vs small 60-61 mm refractor

Binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 herbklee

herbklee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:53 AM

Thinking about selling my excellent fuji 10x50 fmtr sx and purchasing a william optics zenith star 61mm or an astro tech 60mm ed instead.

I find it hard to use the binos for astronomy

I already have a very nice 92mm refractor and and a pair of vanguard 8x42 roof binos

I do 75%astronomy : 25%terrestrial work and am interested in dabbling in AP
Is this a good decision?

Can a 60-61mm scope be used as a guider for my 92mm frac?

Hoping to use the smaller scope as a travel scope as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#2 Echolight

Echolight

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:00 AM

On the binocular forum, no. On the refractor forum, yes?

• Crusty99 and Stevenkelby like this

#3 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:21 AM

Perhaps consider a mirror table for the Fujinon.

50mm binos are aperture equivalent to a 70mm refractor, roughly, to the brain. So you might be very unhappy with the light loss on a 60. Prejudice alert, I'm aperture sensitive, and sold everything under 127mm, but going from a 70 equivalent to a 60 is rough.

Or a use the same mount you intend for the 60s but mount the Fujinon on a simple L bracket, perhaps with a pier extension. When I night-compare binos (I'm a daytime guy on straight through binos, 95% of the time), I use an Orion or Vixen L bracket to mount it on an alt az.

I sold my big straight throughs, and use 45 degree binos, highly recommended. Any of the small APOs are nice.

No real opinion on the AP, but that 90 sure sounds like it's worth a shot first. Even if you need a good reducer.

Edited by markb, 09 May 2021 - 10:26 AM.

• Crusty99 and Stevencbradley like this

#4 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:23 AM

Can you identify why you "find it hard to use the binos for astronomy?"  I am a  relative newcomer to using binos for astronomy as I used them previously almost exclusively for nature viewing.  Once I got a zero gravity chair, I find I really enjoy the binos for astronomy.  The ultimate wide field binoviewer?  Even though the zero grav chair reduced the shakiness, my next step for the 10x56s is to get a tripod adapter and use two legs of the tripod tipped back toward me in the 0g chair.  I have no expertise to share on whether or not the 60mm would make a good guider for your 92mm.  What is the FL of your 92mm?

Edited by Sandy Swede, 09 May 2021 - 10:24 AM.

#5 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:25 AM

I forgot to add, I use APM10 45 degree binos and 45 degree 80mm WWII flaks.

Even the uncoated 45 degree 80mm binos blew my socks off the first time I used them, so 45 degree modern glass and coatings 70s or 80s would be a blast. No real need to go big.

#6 gwlee

gwlee

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

Thinking about selling my excellent fuji 10x50 fmtr sx and purchasing a william optics zenith star 61mm or an astro tech 60mm ed instead.

I find it hard to use the binos for astronomy

I already have a very nice 92mm refractor and and a pair of vanguard 8x42 roof binos

I do 75%astronomy : 25%terrestrial work and am interested in dabbling in AP
Is this a good decision?

Can a 60-61mm scope be used as a guider for my 92mm frac?

Hoping to use the smaller scope as a travel scope as well.

I have a 10x50 FMT-SX and a72mm f6 refractor now, and I use both for terrestrial and grab-and-go astronomical observing, but no AP and don’t know anything about it.  There’s some overlap in the application of these two instruments, but they are significantly different in performance, so I wouldn’t recommend selling your 10x50 unless you don’t like it and don’t want it. 

I also have a 92mm f6.7 refractor now, and have owned a 60mm.

A 60mm scope (or72mm) is much more portable than a 92mm, as portable as it gets in a telescope, but the astronomical performance of the 92mm is much better. I used my 60mm for white-light solar, lunar, brighter DSOs, cruising the Milky Way, a substitute for a tripod mounted binocular, and limited planetary observing. My 72mm serves this same purposes today.

A 60mm (or 72mm) scope shows very little planetary detail compared to a larger refractor, but I enjoyed using it for keeping track of planets and Jupiter’s satellites and such. I use a small refractor (60-100mm) as a third instrument that bridges the performance differences between a handheld binocular and a larger general purpose telescope, but it can’t fully replace either. 

Edited by gwlee, 09 May 2021 - 11:16 AM.

• Anthony236J likes this

#7 Stevencbradley

Stevencbradley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Payson, Arizona

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:42 AM

Fuji's are good bino's, but they are heavy. I have the 7X50's, & often choose a different pair solely because of that. You may be well served to sell the Fuji's & buy the refractor, if you can reserve some money for less expensive bino's. I bought some Parks 8X40's for <$50 off eBay, & they work well. You have to spend some time looking, and there are quite a few "bad ones" out there in the used market. I normally restrict myself to older Japanese models. I have one pair of Russian Tento's that I bought for about $70, & they are excellent. All this, however, takes time. I like binocular astronomy, though, so ymmv...

#8 DrJ1

DrJ1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:09 PM

herbklee:  Astro photography can be rewarding, but it can also be difficult and frustrating.  Modern mirrorless cameras have a focus assist feature that blows up the image--eg 5 or 10 times--to enable a super sharp focus.  I started doing moon photos with an old Vivitar 400mm f5.6 manual focus lens that I picked up for $10 and a tripod.  I have lots of nice moon shots and used this system to see how much I wanted to get into astro photography.  I then graduated to a 4-inch and an 8-inch Meade Schmidt Cassegrain for AP with some good results, but lots of not so good photos.  Good luck.  DrJ1.  

#9 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:51 PM

The common complaint about some of the premium binoculars is their weight. If you're set on getting rid of the Fuji binos, I would consider a refractor with a little more aperture than 60mm. More like a 80mm on a light weight mount. You can always add a relatively inexpensive pair of 10x50's if you miss them. The Nikon AE 10x50's are remarkable for $170 and weigh only 2.3 lbs. plus they are well balanced. Good luck with your choices! waytogo.gif  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 herbklee

herbklee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:42 PM

Perhaps consider a mirror table for the Fujinon.

50mm binos are aperture equivalent to a 70mm refractor, roughly, to the brain. So you might be very unhappy with the light loss on a 60. Prejudice alert, I'm aperture sensitive, and sold everything under 127mm, but going from a 70 equivalent to a 60 is rough.

Or a use the same mount you intend for the 60s but mount the Fujinon on a simple L bracket, perhaps with a pier extension. When I night-compare binos (I'm a daytime guy on straight through binos, 95% of the time), I use an Orion or Vixen L bracket to mount it on an alt az.

I sold my big straight throughs, and use 45 degree binos, highly recommended. Any of the small APOs are nice.

No real opinion on the AP, but that 90 sure sounds like it's worth a shot first. Even if you need a good reducer.

Yes you are absolutely correct.
the views through my 10x50 seem brighter and more crisp Compared to the zs61mm refractor

But at the same Ive been so spoiled by my 92mm frac that any other smaller scope seems dim and dull
I guess I'll have to accept that my 92 mm frac is the best and smallest gng scope for me

Would a Takahashi fs 60 give better views than the WO zs61?

In the meantime I guess I should hold on to my fujis

#11 Echolight

Echolight

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:06 AM

My long term plan is a C5 with reducer and an ST80 for grab and go. I'm half way there with the ST80 in hand. I might keep one of the three 90mm Maks that I have now also.

Of course I have gobs of binoculars. Most of which will be sold off or given away, to make way for a 56mm roof prism binocular that will eventually be my instant access astro tool. Just enough narrower than my fairly compact 10x50 porro to fit perfectly in a certain compartment in my vehicle.

The 10x50 fits. But not flat. So takes up more precious cargo space than necessary. 

Edited by Echolight, 21 May 2021 - 08:07 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics