•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do I shop for a focal reducer for an ES AR127?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lornet

Lornet

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:58 AM

Having just discovered the Field of View Calculator on astronomy.tools, I just realized that the ZWO ASI 385 that a friend is giving me will not have enough FOV for some of the larger DSOs when looking through my Explore Scientific AR 127.  

How do I shop for a focal reducer?  Are there compatibility issues I need to know about?  Are there brands to avoid?  To see M31, it looks like I could just squeeze it in with a .33x reducer.  Is that a bad idea?

I appreciate any positive advice but please don't offer advice telling me to sell my telescope or give back the camera.  

Thanks!

LT

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:31 AM

There's no reason to feel defensive around here- the mods do a fantastic job and these forums are pretty much troll-free. Folks that recommend that you swap out either camera or OTA will only be doing so in your best interest. It's not negative feedback, it's just feedback. However you spend your time and money is up to you :)

My advice is that you continue your research and expand your target list. Your camera with your ota will provide a nice image scale for average seeing conditions with an inexpensive .7x reducer/flattener. I would spend more effort, and my hard-earned savings, on a well-corrected shorter focal length ota to gain a larger FOV. 

• Lornet and Boeglewatcher like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics