•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rolling vs. global shutter noise

Astrophotography CMOS Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Eyeroll1952

Eyeroll1952

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Berthoud, CO

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:03 AM

Hi All,

I have seen multiple comments in prior threads to the effect that rolling shutter cameras tend to produce less read noise than global shutter cameras, hence the former being better suited for DSO imaging. If correct, what is the physics behind this?

The reason I bring it up is that I bought a global shutter camera (ASI071) and found it to have significant noise issues - it is unclear whether I got a dud or if this is an intrinsic issue with the chip. Now I am looking for a replacement and am not sure if I should be making rolling shutter a hard criterion - I never like to go down a path without understanding why I am doing it... Suggestions for APS-C cameras with RS would be appreciated.

Paul 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics