•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Weird issue(?) with Nexstar mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scdouglas

Scdouglas

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Newtown Square, PA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:17 AM

Alright so this is a bit of a strange one. I found my Nexstar 5SE mount downstairs today after a few years of not using it, the hand controller says 12/20/2017 was the last use since I moved entirely to AP. Anyway, I know these little mounts can grab roughly $200 on the classifieds so I thought I'd flip it to someone who will use it and upgrade something for my photography rig. I brought it up, turned it on and just started slewing around and messing with it, all seemed totally fine. But after I was done after about 10 minutes of just playing with it I turned it off and I smelled a burning kind of smell coming from the hand controller's holder inside the mount. Upon further looking into this it seems like the smell is coming from the azimuth motor housing. There isn't any smoke and the mount behaves perfectly fine as if nothing is wrong, is this a big issue or is it the result of not using it. I have vaguely heard that it could be the lubricant on the motor causing this but no concrete answers seem to be out there. 

Anyone got any ideas? Should I be worried about this? 

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:16 PM

The motor/gear boxes in the 4/5 mount are mechanically similar to those in the SLT mounts and not the better drives in the 6/8 mounts-adequate but not more than that. They do fail and are not repairable or serviceable.

A replacement motor/gear box is  $49   if you can find one.

You might PM CN member Geo. He is or was a go to guy for parts and repairs.

If you sell it as is, someone will buy it if the price is right. The question is how much is it worth to get the part and install it?  Actually an easy job. Getting the part may be the big problem.

Not all that long ago I sold off my unused gear, including a 6/8 mount. Last week and was it not predictable, I thought gee if I still had that mount I could... but I don't so I won't. 

• Scdouglas likes this

#3 Scdouglas

Scdouglas

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Newtown Square, PA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:24 PM

The motor/gear boxes in the 4/5 mount are mechanically similar to those in the SLT mounts and not the better drives in the 6/8 mounts-adequate but not more than that. They do fail and are not repairable or serviceable.

A replacement motor/gear box is  $49   if you can find one.

You might PM CN member Geo. He is or was a go to guy for parts and repairs.

If you sell it as is, someone will buy it if the price is right. The question is how much is it worth to get the part and install it?  Actually an easy job. Getting the part may be the big problem.

Not all that long ago I sold off my unused gear, including a 6/8 mount. Last week and was it not predictable, I thought gee if I still had that mount I could... but I don't so I won't. 

Yeah I'm not the most mechanically inclined so I don't want to be disassembling the mount. I do appreciate the info because I can pass it on to the next owner though. 

Is this going to be a big issue though. If the mount is still seemingly working totally fine should I be concerning myself with this? I wouldn't ever want to sell someone a potential fire hazard even if they say they're fine with it. 

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:32 AM

Not at all likely to be  fire hazard. Much more likely to make a noise or two and "stop short never to go again". I think you can disclose the problem and sell it with  clear conscience. Also check your homeowner insurance coverage just in case I am wrong.laugh.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics