•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which binoviewer for a Lunt 60THa?

Accessories Beginner Equipment Observing Solar
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MER

MER

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central, Ohio

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:42 AM

There is a fair amount of info on binoviewers here in the forums. However. Much of it seems dated.

I am going to add a binoviewer to my Lunt LS60THa I am wondering what BVs other are using and why that model.

I will be using the same binoviewer for night time astronomy. Thinking about spending not more than $600.

Many Thanks!

#2 David I

David I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:53 AM

Here are some links :

https://luntsolarsys...binocular-1-25/

https://www.cloudyni...er-mini-review/

This link has the 0.66X reducer for the linear bino which you can order direct from Kasai

https://translate.go...t-text=&act=url

David

• MER likes this

#3 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:32 PM

You can really use any. For the 60THa + B1200, I use the William Optics Binoviewer. They show up on CN often and you can get one in the range of about 200. Comes with a barlow, 2 plossls as well.

#4 David I

David I

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:56 PM

The linear bino can be used on any refractor and newtonian and reach focus without barlows.

https://www.youtube....h?v=N3nRpNf1R_Q

#5 chemman

chemman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:51 PM

I picked up a set of these shortly after I got my Lunt 100, Marty had mentioned them.  I added a pair of BHZ 8-24mm zooms, they have click stops which help a lot.  But just the 1.8x GPC and the stock 30mm eyepieces gives a very nice comfortable full disk view with plenty of detail at f/7.1

Arcturus BinoViewer with Two 30mm Plossl Eyepieces-and-Two-Barlow-Attachments

huck

#6 MER

MER

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:32 PM

so, is the TECNOSKY HORIZON BINOVIEWER the same as the Orion Premium Binoviewer or do they just look a like with different features or specs?

Here are some links :

https://luntsolarsys...binocular-1-25/

https://www.cloudyni...er-mini-review/

This link has the 0.66X reducer for the linear bino which you can order direct from Kasai

David

#7 David I

David I

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

I read on CN that yes they are exactly the same, all coming from same factory just rebranded.

The following are all the same IMHO

https://www.omegon.e...s-1-25-/p,57295

https://www.amazon.c...5/dp/B07CPNHC2Y

https://www.amazon.c...VEQV065ZCP214AV

Omegon is cheaper but consider warranty , I believe they are based in Europe.

Orion is in California.

Orion states in their product video that the bino has lanthium glass , I can't find that spec in the other companies?

CN member Lentini , loves his linear bino from Omegon

https://www.cloudyni...ewtonian-scope/

Also you can check out posts from  jprideaux and MarMax  in the binoviewer forum  

Edited by David I, 09 May 2021 - 06:19 PM.

#8 bigdob24

bigdob24

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:04 PM

Denk II are an excellent choice if they come up for sale. 
The power switch is a great option when paired with good eyepieces.

‘The 24 Pans are great along with APMs but I’ve recently went with a pair of Badder IV 8/24s and they are the best for my eyes and give me 36x to 205X

• chemman likes this

#9 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

At that top end of your budget, maybe look at Baader Maxbrights and the necessary accessories. Otherwise, watch classifieds for super/turbo charged denks near your budget.

Otherwise, if you're just going to go with something inexpensive but works well, the Arcturus or William Optics are good for the price.

Very best,

• chemman and David I like this

#10 Hank Molesky

Hank Molesky

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:21 PM

I second the Arcturus bino’s. I’ve used them in the 60mm and I use them in my 100mm now. Very inexpensive but awesome image quality. 

• chemman likes this

#11 cimar

cimar

Vostok 1

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:35 PM

With my Lunt scope I use a Baader MaxBright binoviewer with 1.7x glas path corrector and a pair of 15mm Agena Astro SWA eyepieces.

You can remove the eyepiece clamp at your Lunt blocking filter, put the glas path corrector into a 7.5mm T2 extension ring and connect the binoviewer directly with the T2 extension to the blocking filter via the T2 threads. This is very stable and the short length of this connection gives good results even with smaller blocking filters.

In short:

- blocking filter without the eyepiece clamp

- 7.5mm T2 extension ring

- 1.7x glas path corrector

- MaxBright binoviewer

Edited by cimar, 09 May 2021 - 10:36 PM.

• briansalomon1, astro rocketeer and Zyx like this

#12 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Messenger

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:00 AM

I also have the maxbright IIs. I use them for day and night and think they're about as good as the Baader MK IVs. I've observed for myself that for solar, simple plossls give better clarity that panoptics/naglers when the seeing is very good so it would be interesting to see how the arcturus BV performs.

#13 MER

MER

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:46 PM

Would this reducer work on other binoviewers provided the threads are compatible?

Many thanks to everyone!

#14 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:11 PM

You can really use any. For the 60THa + B1200, I use the William Optics Binoviewer. They show up on CN often and you can get one in the range of about 200. Comes with a barlow, 2 plossls as well.

I just received a William Optics Binoviewer and was unable to reach focus with my LS60THa + B1200.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

• astro rocketeer likes this

#15 David I

David I

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:45 PM

Dan, sorry to hear that, the WO bino comes with a barlow , have you tried attaching the barlow.

#16 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:09 PM

Dan, sorry to hear that, the WO bino comes with a barlow , have you tried attaching the barlow.

I did not, I assumed the barlow would require even more in focus.  Not so?

#17 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:22 PM

I just received a William Optics Binoviewer and was unable to reach focus with my LS60THa + B1200.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Hey Dan and all... it'll work, but just not with the provided WO Barlow. Instead use a 2X Barlow (I bought an SVBony on eBay (about $10 or so). here's the set-up. I recommend getting a 32mm Plossl to see full disk, otherwise the provided WO 20mm Plossl will only let you see 3/4 disk. I have both tilt tuned and pressure tuned and same results pretty much.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• Lunt 60 plus WO Binoviewers set-up.JPG

Edited by astro rocketeer, 13 May 2021 - 05:22 PM.

#18 Tom M

Tom M

Messenger

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:09 PM

I'm using the Arcturus Binoviewer with the 3X OCA. In this configuration I get a full disk and easily reach focus using my LS60MT w/B1200.

Positioning is a bit touchy for me but once it's all lined up things are great. I also added a Bino Bandit glare blocker, which makes them very nice to use as you can concentrate on the image and not trying to block out extraneous light.

#19 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:46 AM

I deleted my earlier post concerning the WO Binoviewer.  Today I was able to reach focus with the included barlow.  Really tricky getting everything just right.  Honestly I can't say it was better than mono.  I spent a lot of time getting both eyepieces focused, but it is not better than mono.  Others perhaps, not me.  Perhaps it is do to my vision, I have an epiretinal membrane in my right eye, so that may be the issue.

#20 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Messenger

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:19 AM

I deleted my earlier post concerning the WO Binoviewer.  Today I was able to reach focus with the included barlow.  Really tricky getting everything just right.  Honestly I can't say it was better than mono.  I spent a lot of time getting both eyepieces focused, but it is not better than mono.  Others perhaps, not me.  Perhaps it is do to my vision, I have an epiretinal membrane in my right eye, so that may be the issue.

I've also had trouble seeing a tremendous improvement using a BV over mono but I do find binoviewing is more relaxed and I use it almost exclusively.

At higher powers, binoviewing is trickier. Getting your binoviewer as close to the focuser as possible reduces the in-travel needed to get to focus and allows you to use a lower power Barlow to get a full disc low power view.

The eyepiece holder on your Lunt blocking filter is a right hand thread and can be removed by unscrewing it. It won't hurt anything to remove it. You might be able to attach your binoviewer directly to the blocking filter and come to focus without a Barlow.

If not, a Baader 7.5mm adapter will attach directly to your Lunt blocking filter and will allow just enough clearance to place a Baader GPC (Barlow) as close as possible to the Lunt blocking filter. The Baader GPCs come in X1.25, X1.7 and X2.6 powers. They work well, are small, light and cost about $125. I think the 7.5mm extension is about $30.

In these photos I'm adapting a camera and Baader GPC to the Lunt blocking filter but it works the same for any binoviewer with a T2 connection.

https://www.cloudyni...72-baader-75mm/

#21 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:11 AM

Interesting Dan, I could not get my WO barlow to reach focus. Do you by any chance have the approximate focus or draw tube distance? I’m interested to try. Thanks

#22 Spikey131

Spikey131

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:18 AM

I use binoviewers with a TV76/Daystar Quark setup.  Compared to mono viewing, I find it more comfortable and I perceive more detail.  The effects of eye defects, like floaters, is decreased.  Two caveats:

1.  The benefits of binoviewers are most appreciated at higher magnification.

2.  Covering my head with a focusing cloth makes a big difference.

#23 ~RA~

~RA~

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:02 PM

Apologies for the thread drift, but any wisdom for binos on the LS50?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Beginner, Equipment, Observing, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics