•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Redcat Tilt and Coolmination issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dalemazkour

Dalemazkour

Lift Off

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:09 PM

Here are the 4 corners of my redcat from last night and what CCD inspector shows.  I dont have alot of space to adjust the tilt in between the 2600mm camera/Filter Wheel and Redcat tilt plate. I would have to purchase additional adapters to reach backfocus for tilt adjustments. See picture showing image train..

Is this normal or do I need to ask for an exchange? I really like the potential of the redcat but this is unacceptable for a $1000 telescope to not to be at least coolminated prior to shipping. I can make adjustments if you guys have suggestions. Only a year into this hobby so I don't have much experience with adjustments as usually the scopes I have used like the ES127 CF I dont have noticeable coolmination and tilt issues. I appreciate feedback from others who have been able resolve with the redcat or similar setup. 

Attached Thumbnails

• tilt2.jpg
  • tilt3.jpg
  • spacing1.jpg

#2 dan_hm

dan_hm

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:32 PM

Like I said in the other thread the 4 corners picture is too small to get any idea of what's going on. You'll need to share a higher resolution picture.

The tilt in CCD Inspector indeed looks pretty severe, but I can tell just by looking at the picture of your imaging train that the camera isn't sitting flush against the filter wheel. That alone is going to cause tilt.

#3 Gleason

Gleason

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:34 PM

It's most likely the camera array that is slightly tilted, not the RedCat.  Common problem. Does not ZWO camera have built in tip-tilt adjustments? 

#4 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hacienda Heights, Ca

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:24 AM

Did you have this issue with another camera connected? Or just the ASI2600? Post the pic on astrobin and link it for us to look at in full res. I will say that my first Redcat had an issue with one of its lenses. WO ended up replacing it for me after I sent the scope back to them.

Edited by acommonsoul, 10 May 2021 - 08:26 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics