•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is a Good Price for an Older 60mm Refractor?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 4Texans

4Texans

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: AL

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:28 PM

Came across a Jason EQ mounted 60mm F15 on Facebook. Focuser label has SYW mark. Looks like it need a good cleaning as expected and has the wooden crate. Looks like it is a 1960's era telescope.

What is a fair price? Asking $100, but seems high to me.

Edited by 4Texans, 09 May 2021 - 06:53 PM.

#2 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:35 PM

SYW's are usually good, $100 is a reasonable price if the objective lens is in good condition and all the accessories are there. Obviously if you can get it cheaper then it becomes a better deal. a hundred dollars doesn't get you much these days, It's the price of a good eyepiece.

#3 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:22 PM

I too would say $100 is okay, as long as the optics are in good shape and the scope kit is more or less complete. But not a penny over!

#4 Stevencbradley

Stevencbradley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Payson, Arizona

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:41 PM

Dunno if FB is the same, but pay close attention to ship costs. I've seen numerous "good deals" that suddenly become terrible once shipping costs are figured in. Some sellers are charging as much as double the true cost for shipping...
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:29 AM

I know the scope. It was in the ads thread. It was very dirty, scratched up, and one focus knob is bent. It's probaly worth $100 to some but because of the work needed, I'd offer less.

Also, In response to the last post. Like Craigslist, most things sold on FB's Market Place, are expected to be local pick up sales.

Edited by Kasmos, 12 May 2021 - 01:43 AM.

#6 4Texans

4Texans

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate being able to hear others experiences. Yes, it is a pickup only so the shipping costs will be a tank of gas. It will be a 3 hour round trip so hopefully the seller can answer some questions before making the drive.

#7 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:01 AM

Personally, I have a hard time snuffing up $100 for only 60mm of aperture.  With a bit of patience you can get a nicer reflector for the same price.  Just my 2 cents.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

Personally, I have a hard time snuffing up $100 for only 60mm of aperture.  With a bit of patience you can get a nicer reflector for the same price.  Just my 2 cents.

You are missing the fact this is on the Classics Forum !

• Terra Nova, GreyDay and walter a like this

#9 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:40 AM

So if someone offered you a Tak 60mm or a Pentax or a Zeiss telementor etc for $100 you'd turn it down?, Hmmm.... okay.

• Terra Nova likes this

#10 4Texans

4Texans

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 06:52 AM

On the why small topic, well one factor is I started with a 60mm refractor many years ago and there lots of great memories of what I could see even with a small aperture.

Second factor is my larger scopes hardly see any light right now because of limited viewing time. Something smaller sets up faster and can be used more.

Third, sometimes it is good just to have fun and see how much small aperture can show you.

Unfortunately, seller is not responsive. So will keep looking!
  • DreamWeaver, LDW47, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

On the why small topic, well one factor is I started with a 60mm refractor many years ago and there lots of great memories of what I could see even with a small aperture.

Second factor is my larger scopes hardly see any light right now because of limited viewing time. Something smaller sets up faster and can be used more.

Third, sometimes it is good just to have fun and see how much small aperture can show you.

Unfortunately, seller is not responsive. So will keep looking!

You said it the right way especially the fun part !

• DreamWeaver and Terra Nova like this

#12 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:29 AM

Keep watching shopgoodwill.com .
And while waiting for that SYW or RAO objective ,go ahead and get one of the MANY other quite reasonable 60mm.

I have acquired a number for around $50 or less including shipping. So have 60mm in focal lengths of 300,350, 420,700,800,900,910,and 1000!

Very few are 100% complete as originally sold whether pieces lost by former owners or GW staff.A few boxes arrived with holes which could have let small parts escape.
Still , I've never felt cheated; disappointed a few times which was my fault for not reading description or looking closely at pictures.

eBay still has deals but you'll have to do a lot of looking as prices there getting strange.
  • GreyDay likes this

#13 4Texans

4Texans

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:11 PM

Keep watching shopgoodwill.com .
And while waiting for that SYW or RAO objective ,go ahead and get one of the MANY other quite reasonable 60mm.

I have acquired a number for around $50 or less including shipping. So have 60mm in focal lengths of 300,350, 420,700,800,900,910,and 1000!

Very few are 100% complete as originally sold whether pieces lost by former owners or GW staff.A few boxes arrived with holes which could have let small parts escape.
Still , I've never felt cheated; disappointed a few times which was my fault for not reading description or looking closely at pictures.

eBay still has deals but you'll have to do a lot of looking as prices there getting strange.

shopgoodwill.com is bookmarked on my computer.  Good place to browse for sure!

#14 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2021 - 05:09 AM

I did the same trying to either complete missing parts from sets or just to find that perfect 60mm. After collecting a ludicrous amount i sold most or gave some as gifts, then bought a Telementor II. Since then I've bought the odd one here and there but only if they're desirable, rare or cheap. I'm down to seven that i'll hold onto for the moment plus some spare parts scopes.

If i'd saved the money i've spent and bought only one, I'd have a Takahashi (one day) but i've had fun collecting cheap scopes and comparing them. The zeiss and a pentax are the only 60mm's i've paid more than $100 for and both were worth it. :)

#15 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:09 AM

So if someone offered you a Tak 60mm or a Pentax or a Zeiss telementor etc for $100 you'd turn it down?, Hmmm.... okay.

I would accept them due to they're collectability and value, but I don't believe they will show you much more than most other similar 60mm scopes.  It seems to me that the high quality mechanics of the tubes and mountings of these brands are what make them so desirable, at least at this aperture range.

My 60mm is my go-to double star scope, but that is about all I find myself using it for due to the dimness of the images.  I certainly wouldn't pay too much for it though unless the mounting justified it, such as those lovely unitron alt-az mounts.

At the end of the day though this is just my experience with 60mm scopes from my horribly light polluted backyard.  It may be a totally different story if you have darker skies shrug.gif

• GreyDay likes this

#16 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:56 AM

K my fairly dark sky lets small scopes show their potential. No Taks and yet to see any more with Vixen vs. SYW vs. Towa objective.

I find the mounting has much to do with considering ease of use. The lightweight aluminum az-el versus a heavy wood and cast equatorial can influence which scope is used.

Going larger my mostly plastic Meade 102f7.7 achromatic Autostar is light whereas my Celestron 102f9.8 /CG4 is the limit of my carrying. Celestron/Costco 102f9.8 ,if you can find one , is light with greatly improved views over the 60mm but rather prone to vibration.

#17 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:49 PM

As for cost, as other have said, definitely keep an eye on goodwill.  I got my C60 mostly new in the box for $15 just two weeks ago.  Patience is key and you will find something that fits your bill.

• 4Texans likes this

#18 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:14 PM

you need a good eye to see the Tak or Zeiss advantage.  Only the royal astro objectives are as good or better.  

• GreyDay likes this

#19 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:17 PM

you need a good eye to see the Tak or Zeiss advantage. Only the royal astro objectives are as good or better.

Then I might as well stop at RAO or SYW considering my eyesight,although the local seeing is more likely the limit.
  • GreyDay likes this

#20 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:45 AM

Then I might as well stop at RAO or SYW considering my eyesight,although the local seeing is more likely the limit.

This is a very good point, It's hard to see the difference between my Asahi Pentax and Telementor on some nights especially if the weather isn't cooperating or i'm tired and not concentrating. Most 60mm classics give a great view, a lot of the time the differences are only noticeable with averted/direct vision or how cleanly clusters or double stars are resolved, details on the moon etc.

More importantly, the mount you use can make or break an evening under the stars with these small scopes, it's sometimes difficult and frustrating to reach best focus at high mag on a wobbly mount. This alone can leave the user with a negative opinion of smaller scopes in general, not just the poorly mounted one they used.

• Corcaroli78, Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#21 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:21 PM

I've used different scopes on different nights and came away thinking they were pretty much equivalent. So IMO, the only way to notice small differences between the good ones was to use them side by side under the same conditions and object. That said, usually the really good ones (or the stinkers), were obvious without another set up for comparison

• GreyDay likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics