•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vacillating over which new mount for very-wide- to wide-field rig

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 oatmeal

oatmeal

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sonoma County, CA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:32 PM

I've lately been piecing together a (very) wide-field rig (Sigma & Canon EF L lenses, 35-200mm) and am considering picking up a dedicated light-to-medium duty mount to complement what I already have.

Currently I'm imaging with a WO GT81 on an EQ6-R, which I'm pretty happy with. In addition to my wide field project, I'll be in the market for a larger refractor within the next year or so (TS 130mm Photoline currently tops the list).

It'd be nice to have a lighter more portable rig for widefield, but one that could still easily handle my GT81 setup (about 18 lbs with all accessories). Ultimately I'd like to have a dual mount setup to get better ROI for my imaging time: wide field or GT81 on a lighter rig, and the bigger frac on the EQ6-R.

Prologue out of the way, what mount meets these needs best? The CEM26/GEM28 seem ideal - when they're good they're good (<1" RMS guided), though my broad impressions from browsing other threads is that there are still some growing pains/QC issues. The CEM25p also seemed to have a reputation for needing delicate handling - not sure if that's been remediated in this latest generation.

The HEQ5 is tenured and stalwart, and while still portable seems like more of a tank, though the guiding performance may not rival that of the iOptrons. Setup & EQMOD would be familiar, coming from my EQ6-R. I'm intrigued by the belt mod, though I have a moderate amount of apprehension re: possibly tearing pins loose and bricking the motherboard.

While I don't need the weight capacity of my EQ6-R for my very-wide-field or even my GT81, and would like greater portability, I don't want to sacrifice accuracy & resulting sub quality either.

I've also been eyeing the GEM45, but I feel that may be overkill for either the very-wide field setup or the GT81, and is heavier than the CEM26/GEM28

Any advice?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics