•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Our dearly departed....gone but not forgotten

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 KevH

KevH

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

I really regret selling my ED81S... So much so I am seriously thinking about grabbing the newer SD81S.

med_gallery_108891_302_357943.jpg

• Tyson M and teashea like this

#27 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:01 AM

I do not regret selling any refractor because I had a good reason to do so like; getting older, or light pollution getting worse at my location, or for more aperture, etc. However, if I could still use them like when I first bought them new, I would love to have these refactors back…

1) My pre ED Astro-Physics 1989 152mm F9 triplet refractor

2) My Astro-Physics 155mm F7 triplet refractor
3) My original Tele Vue Genesis F5 refractor
4) My 80mm University Optics “kit scope” refractor
5) My LZOS 105mm F6.2 triplet refractor in a SV OTA

1) After 22 years, of ownership I sold the 2 APs because of my advancing age and downsizing
2) I sold the TV Genesis because its wide field capability was compromised because of increasing light pollution. Although, all these years later, the TV Genesis F5 would be a great scope to use with my image intensifier, even under heavy light pollution.
3) After 15 years I sold the UO 80mm for my 105mm achromatic refractor and after 5 years I sold the LZOS 105mm for my Takahashi TSA 120.

All the refractors I owned were well used but conditions unfortunately change for all of us. Of all the refractors on the list, the 1989 AP 152 F9 is the one that opened my eyes to what refractive optics can do and is the one on the list that I would want back, if I could still use it.

Bob

I have one of the AP 152s from that vintage.  Love it.   It is not small.  Not looking forward to the day it becomes too much for me.  Fortunately I have a 127 mm baby brother that I will probably never give up.  Those old scopes are really special.

JMD

• Paul Morow likes this

#28 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:33 AM

The refractors I regret selling above all others were my FS128, then my FS152, and even my humble little FC100DC. All great refractors. All Takahashi strangely enough. The one I least regret selling was my TV NP101 IS.

• payner, Tyson M and Defenderslideguitar like this

#29 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:05 PM

I do regret selling my TV-102, but I got an NP-101 to console me. My other regrets are listed below. 

Televue TV102 102/880
Coronado PST
Astro Telescope 152 F5.9 Achromat 152/900
Lunt LS60PTHa/B1200
Orion 80ST Achromat 80/400

some are pictured below.

CS

Jonathan

Attached Thumbnails

• old ref col.jpg

• Tyson M, mikeDnight and gjanke like this

#30 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:22 PM

AP 130 f/8.35
TMB/LZOS 100/800
Tak FS 128
  • doctordub, stevenwav, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#31 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:41 PM

A few years ago I sold my 4" equatorial Unitron with all the bells and whistles, unihex, full set of eyepieces, sun projection screen, tray light, electric motor drive, etc.  Even had a 2" adapter made so I could use wide field eyepieces.  I had the lens coated by Majestic, as Unitron coated only the outer surface of the front element, and I completely rebaffled the interior of the tube. 

I miss the OTA, but not the mount, which, although looked very impressive was not user friendly.  I had thought of selling just the mount, but I couldn't bring myself to break up the system.  I hope the present owner is enjoying it.

Dom Q.

• zjc26138, doctordub and gjanke like this

#32 Deadlake

Deadlake

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:40 PM

I miss the following:

NP127 w/ ft focuser. Just an amazing scope on everything, planets to flat fields. No better utilitarian scope, besides maybe the following...

The AP130GT, probably the best all purpose scope I've ever used. I am not really prone to field curvature so I liked this better than the scope above. Just an epic scope in a small package. Felt similar in size to even a 105 traveller.

The TSA102S (both of them), the TSA120 for their amazing views they provided me. Some of my fav fracs to use ever. The 120 is special for an epic Venus season with it. Something I've never had before.

The TOA130 for showing my the veil like I never had before. It was a brute but amazing once cooled down.

Edit: I'll put the AP105 traveller on here as well. It showed me the pup and faint intermittent details on Venus. I liked the TSA120 and the AP130GT more though. This scope felt a bit chunky almost, and the two aforementioned scopes felt smaller than their size.

What’s you next scope to replace the AP130GTX?

#33 NikhilJoshi

NikhilJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle WA, USA

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:22 PM

My Tak FSQ-106N and Tak Sky-90. I pined so much after those sales that my wife instituted a no-more-selling-your-telescopes rule. 

The new AP Stowaway certainly helped heal those emotional scars.

-nik

• Paul G, doctordub, Tyson M and 2 others like this

#34 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:12 PM

I miss my Richard Berry-type 6 inch, F15 refractor that took me forever to build. I followed Richard's plans to the letter and the finished telescope was a delight to use, with its swing-to, Dobsonian-type mount. With its D&G lens and super-stable platform, the telescope gave rock-steady images of sharpness, contrast and clarity.

The telescope was of Brobdingnagian proportions and would stop traffic whenever I had it out. The tube was white, the cradle red and the elephantine legs blue. To call the telescope portable would be to risk a play on words, but I was able to get it in and out of the garage in sections. At least I could 30 years ago.

I have Jaegers 6 inch, F/10 lens from the '60s and sometimes daydream about re-creating my earlier masterpiece- until the alarm goes off and reminds me to take my back medication...

Edited by Steve Allison, 11 May 2021 - 05:14 PM.

• doctordub, plyscope, daquad and 1 other like this

#35 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:57 PM

What’s you next scope to replace the AP130GTX?

Minor correction for you: the GT not GTX is the perfect visual scope. The GT has a tapered machined tube which makes it feel smaller. Also the GT is all oil spaced vs the GTX oil/air. 

And I don't exactly need a 5" refractor. My 9" does what I need a refractor to do, except for planets or grab and go.

The scope that I am buying with the majority of the funds from the sale from the GT is going towards a 8" Matthais Wirth f6 mak newt. That scope will do everything well. Better than a 5" refractor....for me anyways. That's the scope I'll grab to head out for an evening in the backyard or wherever. It can do everything well.

Edit: I had to use the funds to pay for new house furniture but will replenish those funds in the coming months.

• Paul Morow, stevenwav and gjanke like this

#36 sw196060

sw196060

Viking 1

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:29 PM

Minor correction for you: the GT not GTX is the perfect visual scope. The GT has a tapered machined tube which makes it feel smaller. Also the GT is all oil spaced vs the GTX oil/air. 

And I don't exactly need a 5" refractor. My 9" does what I need a refractor to do, except for planets or grab and go.

The scope that I am buying with the majority of the funds from the sale from the GT is going towards a 8" Matthais Wirth f6 mak newt. That scope will do everything well. Better than a 5" refractor....for me anyways. That's the scope I'll grab to head out for an evening in the backyard or wherever. It can do everything well.

You blaspheme !!!

#37 Deadlake

Deadlake

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:49 AM

One of the unique selling points of a refractor is fast acclimation. You found some amazing fans to help out?
  • Paul Morow likes this

#38 weis14

weis14

Ranger 4

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:13 PM

I sold my AP 130GTX a couple of years ago in a moment of stupidity and never should have done it.  That scope was beautiful and the weight savings compared to my CFF160 makes a big difference, especially when it comes to alt-az mounting for visual.  Don't get me wrong, the CFF is a wonderful scope and I would never have bought it if I still had the GTX.  However, I got the GTX brand new 9 years after signing up on the list as a whim when I graduated from college.  I had no idea it would be a ten year wait!

I will not make the same mistake with the Stowaway.  I can't imagine finding a better 92mm scope optically or mechanically (there are some equals, such as CFF or Takahashi), which means it will hopefully be part of my observing program for the next 50+ years.  Assuming I am still observing 50 years from now in my mid-80s, I'll need a light scope.  

• Tyson M likes this

#39 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:32 PM

My A-P 5" f12 super planetary, my 8" f15 refractor from 1985-1991, and my 5" f12 D&G from ten years ago!!!

Edited by barbie, 16 May 2021 - 07:42 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#40 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:51 PM

Oh my....

Some day I'll say the Vixen 80fl was the one I wish I still had   but I know who has it  and it is well loved and appreciated...I sold it just to buy the 1992 Tak 76    and we will hold onto that forever...

I sold my TV Oracle four years ago   I bought it back two years ago and sold it again last week....To buy a 4 inch Unitron...

Finally,    who wouldn't want a 6 inch AP of any vintage? It does behoove one to squirrel away the cash to be ready when someone else decides it no longer makes sense to keep such a scope  and is looking to place it in a good home where it will be appreciated.....

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 16 May 2021 - 08:04 PM.

• doctordub and barbie like this

#41 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:54 PM

I’ve bought back most of the scopes I had and regretted selling including the 130 apq and the ceravolo mak-newts. I won’t be making the same mistakes again. I regret selling my ap stowaway f/5 still and the rest of the regrets center around the scopes I didn’t purchase when I had the chance like a tv bizarro. 

Edited by stevenwav, 16 May 2021 - 09:55 PM.

#42 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Viking 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:52 PM

Steven,  I was thrilled to buy your Ceravolo 145 a few years ago.  I foolishly sold it, and now I wish I had never let it go!

Gordon G

• stevenwav likes this

#43 laedco58

laedco58

Messenger

• Loc: East Central Minnesota

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:26 PM

I just sold my Takahashi FC100DL yesterday. If my astronomy interests were more focused toward lunar and planetary observation, I would have kept it. 

#44 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:44 PM

My Celestron C80ED purchased with a CG5 mount was my first (not junk) scope. I had it for about 4 years. It died when it was bowled over by a wind blown popup shelter at the 2008 GSSP.  I liked the scope. I used it on the CG5 mount, on an alt/az mount for grab and go and piggy backed on my CPC925. It was a pretty light scope and easy use on it's on or with another scope.

I mourned it's demise. I eventually got o a wait list for a Stellarvue SV115T20 with 2 inch Feathertouch focuser. My SVR90T on a FTQ mount and Gitzo 5541LS tripod is my current light grab and go which replaced the void left by the C80ED.

Edited by JMW, 09 June 2021 - 05:46 PM.

#45 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:50 AM

That would be my FSQ85. Perhaps the best imaging telescope in that aperture class. 

That said, I don't have big regrets selling it as I wanted to upgrade to a 5" class frac. One of the rare cases an imager gets aperture fever! 

#46 Teal'c

Teal'c

Indeed

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:22 AM

SV80S

SV95T

SV102ABV

Matthais Wirth 80L

All Lomo OK-4

SV Nighwawk V2

Celestron C-8

Life took me in a different direction but now that I'm getting back into the hobby, I'd love to have them all back.

Only scopes left are my 10" Teton dob with Spooner primary and a recently acquired Altair 125EDF

#47 teashea

teashea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:49 PM

I really regret selling my ED81S... So much so I am seriously thinking about grabbing the newer SD81S.

med_gallery_108891_302_357943.jpg

According to several posts here on CN, there are the same.  The name change was just for marketing purposes.  Identical lenses.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics