•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help please! My first efforts using EQ mount, can't use GOTO

EQ Imaging Mount Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:33 AM

Yesterday evening I corrected the settings as follows and tried to get rid of any inaccuracies:

1. The time setting was two minutes out, now it is bang on.

2. I checked alignment of my polar scope and no adjustment needed.

3. I adjusted the finderscope as it was slightly off also.

4. I believe my polar alignment was quite good as I was able to go unguided for 3-4 minutes and no movement of image nor star trails.

Now I have become aware that Cone Error is a thing, maybe that is a problem as my dovetail is not perfectly flat nor sits perfectly flat. There is room for small error there, how important might this be?

Anyway, last night I had some success for the first time since I got my mount four days ago. I slewed to Alderamin and synched to it then onto the Cave Nebula which I imaged for 3 minutes each sub. I managed to get 13 x 180s images and stacked them (I did reject a few not many). The resulting image is good and I will need much more time on the object. I am looking to get a few more hours on this tonight.

Great news! I guess you've successfully passed the "peak" of the learning curve with your mount :)

Now it's time to enjoy the imaging.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EQ, Imaging, Mount, Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics