•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filter question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 damarks913

damarks913

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:41 PM

I am shooting with an unmodified Nikon D600 and want to take a shot at the Eagle Nebula. I have a clip L-Pro and a 2" UHC that screws in my reducer. Bortle 6 from a backyard just south of the Phoenix metro area.

So, should or can I use both together? If not both, which? 

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:12 PM

The unmodified camera is a real drawback on an emission nebula.  Other targets will be more satisfying.

Don't stack more filters, you already have a Bayer matrix filter in the camera.  You could try each of the two seperately, see what works better.

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#3 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:46 AM

I am shooting with an unmodified Nikon D600 and want to take a shot at the Eagle Nebula. I have a clip L-Pro and a 2" UHC that screws in my reducer. Bortle 6 from a backyard just south of the Phoenix metro area.

So, should or can I use both together? If not both, which?

IIUC the UHC lets in a subset of the wavelengths of the L-pro, so you wouldn't get any benefit from combining the two, and would probably lose a bit of transmission.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just stick to the UHC. For the eagle, that sounds like the best bet.

With an unmodified Nikon, your H-alpha sensitivity may be extremely low. Inspect your red channel after you get a preliminar stack to see how it looks, the UHC should produce rather clean red data. but I suspect you may need several hours of it to get decent results due to the lower sensitivity.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics