•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ekos scheduler + Guiding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sigo24

sigo24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:06 AM

How do you have the scheduler use guiding? And if the scheduler has an aborted job and you have it restart, how to get guiding to start on the abort?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but guiding also stops when I start the scheduler and after the plate solve, the mount slews a bit.

Thanks.

#2 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:16 AM

You can guide without the scheduler. Just start an image sequence in the "Camera" tab and then start guiding in the "Compass" tab.

The scheduler is much more flexible. It allows you to stack up targets to image over the night, return to targets night after night, etc. But everything needs to be set up ahead of time in the scheduler, vs just click-and-go if you don't use the scheduler.

There are check boxes on the left side of the scheduler to select what to include in a scheduled imaging run. Check the "Guide" box to make it guide.

#3 sigo24

sigo24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

Thanks. Looking at my setup I do have it checked. But I was also having issues with my Canon falling asleep. I need to fix that and maybe I was also confused on the guiding. Thanks for this reminder and I'll try again tonight if I can.

The issue I have with image sequence only is that 1 random cloud will kill guiding, which then killed an image sequence if I remember correctly. If I can't auto-restart both, then I will walk away from Astroberry. But if I can get imaging to continue with guiding until dawn then I'll keep this solution.

Edited by sigo24, 11 May 2021 - 09:17 AM.

#4 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:43 AM

I've never been completely clear about how the restart (after clouds) works.

It definitely does restart but I don't know exactly how it decides to do this. Maybe there's another setting someplace. I think it just keeps trying to find guide stars and then eventually if guide stars reappear it just resumes where it left off.

There's a current discussion on the INDI Forum (https://indilib.org/forum.html) about fixing a bug that fails to recenter the target (using plate solving) upon restarting after a guide failure. My mount tracks pretty well without guiding, so I am kind of protected from this. But if it's been cloudy for hours my target will be significantly off-center. Hopefully they get that fixed in the next revision.

There are some other quirks about the scheduler that took me a while to understand, but in general I've been really happy with it and with Ekos in particular.

You should certainly visit the INDI forum though -- loads of useful stuff over there (as well as the usual drivel)!

#5 sigo24

sigo24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:44 PM

Thanks airscottdenning, looks like a somewhat clear night tonight. I will be trying out the scheduler. I've also been on the INDI forums, but it doesn't seem very active.

#6 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:10 PM

How do you have the scheduler use guiding? And if the scheduler has an aborted job and you have it restart, how to get guiding to start on the abort?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but guiding also stops when I start the scheduler and after the plate solve, the mount slews a bit.

Thanks.

The default config of the scheduler for a job is to first track, then focus, next align, and then start guiding. This is selected in the scheduler tab with checkboxes.  If a job aborts, the scheduler will re-start it, following exactly that scheme.  Obviously, the guiding has to use auto-select star for this to work.

(I have to admit though that I have only tested this once, I usually observe without the scheduler crazy.gif )

#7 sigo24

sigo24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:19 PM

Update. So I made sure “repeat until” 5am was checked this time if there are errors. There was a random cloud and it’s working now. The issue I just saw was drift because of the cloud which I suppose is fine if the tool will eventually realign. I didn’t want to risk going to bed though with nothing so I just retargeted M106 via GoTo and it restarted the scheduler which was cool. We will see if it happens again while I’m sleeping if it will plate solve and align again.

Edited by sigo24, 11 May 2021 - 11:21 PM.

#8 sigo24

sigo24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:59 AM

Everything worked all night! Processing M106 now. This was also the first time I've ever done 5 minute subs.

Edited by sigo24, 12 May 2021 - 05:59 AM.

• lambermo, Stu Todd and Der_Pit like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics