•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AR 2822 - triplestack-poor transparency - 9./10.05

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HPaleske

HPaleske

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:47 AM

Hi,

I am in the process of processing the pictures from 9 and 10.05. We had a lot of sun, unfortunately with horrible seeing and poor transparency.
In such conditions it is good for the contrast if three etalons can be used. This is not easy, because the tuning of the optics must be very accurate.

The AR is very complex with nice branched magnetic field. Unfortunately a flare could not be observed.

I also tried to get broadband photos in the red continuum with elements of Halpha. For this I used a 12nm and the 6A block filter. Also on this photo you can guess the poor quality of the transparency. This is much better. As orientation I have copied a situation photo. The clouds just didn't want to leave in front of the sun!!!

Note how densely layered the chromosphere is over the umbra. No photospheric filaments can be seen here.

http://www.unigraph....085239mos75.jpg

red continium:

http://www.unigraph....0510_090428.jpg

I will add to the thread later with the other results.

cs Harald

www.unigraphprom.de

Edited by HPaleske, 11 May 2021 - 12:51 AM.

• Vlad, R Botero, rigel123 and 8 others like this

#2 peterm

peterm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:23 AM

Stunning, just stunning!

#3 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:36 AM

Amazing Harald! The pic of the clouds in front of the sun looks so familiar! I think I have seen those conditions many times!

#4 MAURITS

MAURITS

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:05 AM

Absolutely amazing Harald.

#5 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:50 AM

Always a treat to see your amazing work Harald.

#6 jwestervelt

jwestervelt

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:25 AM

Those images are sweet, but I'm more intrigued with the scope.  You have any posts covering what you have set up there?

#7 HPaleske

HPaleske

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:53 AM

thanks all for your answers.

Jwestervelt:

You can see the set up on my homepage -  www.unigraphprom.de or www.unigraph.de .

The optical path like DOT of Teneriffa. However, the main optic is a Lense not a mirror.
The Uni can work with or without DERF, without risk to the optics. It has a cone aperture, a pinhole, a Lyot aperture and a secondary optical system. I buy the many degrees of freedom with a very long beam path - about 1.4m from the primary focus. It is certainly possible to make the beam path much shorter with telecentrics in front of the primary focus, as many amateurs do here worldwide.

cs Harald

www.unigraphprom.de

#8 lorenzo italy

lorenzo italy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Montichiari (Bs) Italy

Posted 11 May 2021 - 01:18 PM

Nice pictures.
The indication of the Ellermanbomb in red continuum is interesting, I would never have noticed it in the image.
Is there any way to understand that such a phenomenon is taking place?
Or is it your observing experience that allows you to understand what is happening?

Lorenzo

#9 HPaleske

HPaleske

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:23 PM

Hi Lorenzo,

Ellermanbombs are objects of the photosphere. According to the theory they are areas where magnetic field lines (+/-pole) touch each other. Then a magnetic short circuit occurs. These small areas are very bright, brighter than granulation cells. They appear in different forms. The clearest way to identify Ellermanbomb is when they are round and glistening bright and you observed in Ha off band.

There is a lot of literature from the professionals about it. Here is an example

---  "Statistics, Morphology,and Energetics of Ellerman Bombs,  "   M.K. Geortgoulis, D. M. Rust, N. Bernasconi

cs Harald

www.unigraphprom.de

• lorenzo italy likes this

#10 lorenzo italy

lorenzo italy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Montichiari (Bs) Italy

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:29 PM

Thank you so much Harald,
very valuable information.
At the next observation I will pay more attention to what I see.

Lorenzo

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics