•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Full disc with canon 600D

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GKA

GKA

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South of Norway

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:14 AM

How would it be to use a 600D and backyard Eos to capture video? reason i ask is that i have both , an are unable to get full disc with my current White light setup.

My setup is not the most expensive one , but it works , currently i'm using a Hercules wedge , Baader continum filter , svbony uv/ir cut and Svbonys barlows.

The camera i'm using is the svbony sv305 pro .

I was thinking to maybe use solar film and prime focus to capture a full disc , or perhaps the 600D connected to the wedge.

Any advice?

My wedge:

https://www.aliexpre...sAbTest=ae803_3

Edited by GKA, 12 May 2021 - 04:14 AM.

#2 vincentv

vincentv

Mariner 2

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:54 AM

I'm not a photographer. People with experience can give you better advice.

-A mono camera would be better. With the solar continuum filter (green) your results should be much better than using the canon for h-alpha. In other words, not ideal but far from terrible.

-If you have enough focuser travel you can use the wedge. Try that first before buying equipment.

-Last time I checked there were some tricks to have a 1:1 camera pixel:video pixel mapping. IIRC you had to "zoom in" the video. Otherwise the camera applies some processing to widen the field of view.

Your imaging train will be: telescope -> wedge -> nd3 filter -> continuum filter -> camera. Uv/ir is optional in this case since the canon has one. I do recommend using it for visual.

On a separate note, I had never seen an iris in a wedge. That's an, ummm, curious design choice.

Edit: I see the wedge has an M42 thread. Is there a way to mount the filters *after* the prism when using it? If not then you'll need to use a nose piece for the camera.

Edited by vincentv, 12 May 2021 - 09:57 AM.

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:37 AM

What scope are you using ? I see that you have many alternatives in your signature.

You should get full disk with one of them (not sure if you should have barlow for full disk).

#4 GKA

GKA

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:08 PM

I'm not a photographer. People with experience can give you better advice.

-A mono camera would be better. With the solar continuum filter (green) your results should be much better than using the canon for h-alpha. In other words, not ideal but far from terrible.
-If you have enough focuser travel you can use the wedge. Try that first before buying equipment.
-Last time I checked there were some tricks to have a 1:1 camera pixel:video pixel mapping. IIRC you had to "zoom in" the video. Otherwise the camera applies some processing to widen the field of view.

Your imaging train will be: telescope -> wedge -> nd3 filter -> continuum filter -> camera. Uv/ir is optional in this case since the canon has one. I do recommend using it for visual.

On a separate note, I had never seen an iris in a wedge. That's an, ummm, curious design choice.

Edit: I see the wedge has an M42 thread. Is there a way to mount the filters *after* the prism when using it? If not then you'll need to use a nose piece for the camera.

I've tried with a smaller scope earlier, with a nosepiece but it didn't work, but i didn't try other options, i know i can get a full disc using prime focus and solar film, but not sure about backyard eos and autostakkert, but I guess it will work.I will try it out when the sun decide to come back. 😊 Thanks for answering👍
By the way i have never used the iris, but maybe i should, could it perhaps do some of the same As stoppping down the scope??

#5 GKA

GKA

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

What scope are you using ? I see that you have many alternatives in your signature.
You should get full disk with one of them (not sure if you should have barlow for full disk).

Currently I'm using a scope that is not listed, an Orion 120/1000 achromatic Telescope, which works great with the wedge, and with my solar film.
I will make a couple of step down caps for it, like 90mm, 100mm and 110mm when i find something to make them from.
Thanks for replying😊👍

Edited by GKA, 12 May 2021 - 01:14 PM.

#6 vincentv

vincentv

Mariner 2

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:28 PM

By the way i have never used the iris, but maybe i should, could it perhaps do some of the same As stoppping down the scope??

Since it's so close to the focus plane I suspect the effect will be vignetting and it won't be noticeable until it "touches" the solar disk. The reason it drew my attention is the chance of the blades getting damaged by the concentrated sunlight.

• GKA likes this

#7 GKA

GKA

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:57 AM

Since it's so close to the focus plane I suspect the effect will be vignetting and it won't be noticeable until it "touches" the solar disk. The reason it drew my attention is the chance of the blades getting damaged by the concentrated sunlight.

Well , i haven't used it yet , i actually forgot it was even there smile.gif maybe because the wedge works so great without it , i guesswaytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics