•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would appreciate the forums opinion please .....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JackWall

JackWall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:45 AM

Hi folks,

Recent purchase  - Omegon APO AP 94/517 Triplet ED.

I have just opened the telescope package and attached are a couple of pictures of what I saw.

Is this cause for concern?

Dust on the inside of the objective lens and some quite messy glue residue on the inner chamber (which I am concerned of flaking off)

My immediate reaction is not too positive and I have a call organised with the vendor already.

I've not noticed this so much on the few other telescopes I've handled and I'm trying to gauge whether is this serious or not.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

S!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.jpg
  • 1.jpg

Edited by JackWall, 12 May 2021 - 06:14 AM.

#2 Robindonne

Robindonne

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:46 AM

Im not sure how bad this is. I noticed the same on a WO zenithstar i once owned. After having a look inside another zenithstar i saw exactly the same little marks and spots in the tube. The dust on the lens can easily be blown away i guess. If its between the elements i would probably ask for a replacement?

Edited by Robindonne, 12 May 2021 - 06:46 AM.

• JackWall likes this

#3 jupiter122

jupiter122

Messenger

• Loc: Sudbury, MA; Gray, Maine

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:24 AM

If you bought it new you have a right for it to be in pristine condition. If it were me, I’d send it back.

Tim
  • ShaulaB, Challenger75 and JackWall like this

#4 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:29 AM

From the photo, this appears to be the result of poor quality control.  The dust could be a minor issue, but given assumed 'messy glue residue, what else is wrong?  This would not be acceptable to me for a new scope and I would send it back.  Why start off with something with which you are quite clearly disappointed?  If for whatever reason you decided to sell this, you would be disclosing it to potential buyers.  What is the likelihood that you would take a hit?

• JackWall likes this

#5 gjanke

gjanke

Viking 1

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:38 AM

None of what the pictures shows are items of concern.

Take the scope out. use it and then if it doesn't performs I would call the vendor. I believe. we sometimes, spend way too much time looking for an issue with the instrument when we in fact should be looking at the stars.

• zjc26138 and JackWall like this

#6 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:56 AM

Yeah...I would test the scope and if it’s optics are great I wouldn’t sweat the cosmetics! In shipping it back and receiving a replacement you never know what you are going to get.
  • JackWall likes this

#7 Mirzam

Mirzam

Aurora

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:22 AM

It could be poor quality control, but it could also be the vendor unloading a scope that has been returned for defects.  I once purchased an expensive new eyepiece from a local shop (no longer in business).  Fortunately I was in the store and not ordering online.  The salesperson brought a boxed eyepiece, which I opened to inspect.  It was covered in dust and fingerprints and clearly used.  I said “Don’t you have a new eyepiece in stock?”  The guy went back and rummaged around eventually bringing a brand new eyepiece for me to purchase.  In the Op’s case a vendor really shouldn’t accept faulty products from the supplier.  I think vendors of expensive optics should at least inspect what they are selling.  That would show that they care about their customers. 

JimC

• ShaulaB and tbundy614 like this

#8 ullomat

ullomat

Vendor (astroshop.eu)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Bavaria - Germany

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

I apologize for this issue. This scope is not in a shape in which it should reach our customers. We will exchange it for a proper sample, I already informed our customer service, they will contact you soon how to proceed  

If there is anything else, please drop me a PM. 

Thanks and cs,

Uli

• Jeff Bennett, John Huntley, Tony Bonanno and 10 others like this

#9 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:55 AM

Wish all retailers where like Uli (Astroshop).

• ullomat, ShaulaB and JackWall like this

#10 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

I apologize for this issue. This scope is not in a shape in which it should reach our customers. We will exchange it for a proper sample, I already informed our customer service, they will contact you soon how to proceed  

Thanks and cs,

Uli

Can't ask for better than that.  Joe

• ullomat and JackWall like this

#11 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:34 PM

Can't ask for better than that.  Joe

+1 on that.

#12 JackWall

JackWall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:46 PM

Hi all,

I was actually coming back to see what replies I might have and upon reading Uli's post, I am very impressed with Astroshops customer service.

Thanks to all for your feedback. It was helpful.

To Uli @ Astroshop, I really appreciate you and your team's support and your A-star customer service. 

I was returning to the thread here only to update the status in case anyone was interested, namely, that Astroshop was taking care of me.

I was not expecting a forum reply from the vendor themselves. Wow!

I guess as I am new here I have much to learn and appreciate about this close knit community. Kudos all.

The RMA has been received already and I been telephoned also ... so talk about turning a bad news situation into a good news story and all you need to reference is this case.

Thank you Astroshop.

S!

• ullomat and tbundy614 like this

#13 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks and cs,

Uli

Well done!

JMD

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics