•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon EOS Ra + Meade Lx850 ACF 16"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tinkerc

tinkerc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:49 AM

Hey everyone,

First post here. I've read tons of posts though! I'm fairly new to astrophotography and started with a Skywatcher 100ED refractor and an EQM-35 pro mount. I've since stumbled across a used Losmandy Titan mount and a Meade LX850 ACF 16" OTA. It's huge!  And the set up is very heavy. With a field flattener/reducer, I'm able to get my Canon EOS Ra to work perfectly with my 100ED refractor. I've finally gotten the Titan mount and Gemini 2 working perfectly,  but the pictures I take with the Ra when it's attached to the Meade has quite a lot of curvature and vignetting. I've attached a single quick sub from when I was focusing the telescope to show what I'm talking about. It was also shot from my light polluted backyard (Bortle 5), which may have something to do with that as well.

I don't have anything connected to the visual back of the Meade besides my camera. I don't quite know enough about back focus to know if that's an issue. I've also tried looking for field flatteners for the Meade, but I'm not sure how well they would work, as I believe the meade has a reducer built in already. Do any of you have any suggestions for what I could do to correct this? I've been toying with the idea of buying a dedicated astronomy camera with a smaller sensor, but I'd like to be able to get this working with the Canon. I've been searching through tons of forum posts, as well as astro bin to see what other people have done to get a full frame camera working with their scopes, but I haven't found any posts or pictures with the same scope as mine, using a full frame DSLR. I did find one picture on Astrobin of someone using a Canon 5D Mark IV on the LX200 16" telescope. I'm thinking of posting a comment asking what his imaging train looks like to get a good image without the issues I'm seeing.

Thanks!

Camren

Attached Thumbnails

• 0D9A0677.jpg

#2 tinkerc

tinkerc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:15 PM

I’m dumb. I figured it out haha. The adapter I’m using slims down to 1.25 in the barrel with a screw that lets you slide in 1.25 accessories. My sensor is larger than that, thus the circley stuff. I’ll look for a true Meade ACF to 2” adapter. So far haven’t had any luck with the ones I’ve purchased, but I’ll keep buying in the hopes that one will work!

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:32 PM

I use a full frame Nikon D610 on my 12” f/8 ACF using a 2” nose piece through the 2” visual back. There’s just a tiny bit of vignetting in the corners. The EOS Ra looks pretty cool!

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics