•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Mogey Restoration

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#76 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:26 PM

It looks fabulous!

• starman876 likes this

#77 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:21 PM

It looks fabulous!

Thanks, now if could identify the OTA as  to who made it.  

Edited by starman876, 15 May 2021 - 07:21 PM.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#78 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:09 AM

As for mount colors, these folks (link below) have a one with a green mount and both of Dave Trott's (alt-az and GEM) are green. That said they are also seen in black.

Dave's unmarked alt-az has Mogey written on the side of the lens. He also says Mogey is one of a few companies to use 1.25" accessories.

Links:

http://www.theskyscr...findtext= mogey

Dave Trott Mogey video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=hAMCzuqOmQo

There are other differences but the bevel on the front of the cell on this wood tube Merz looks very similar:

https://astromart.co...e-updated-11629

Another wood tube Merz. This time on a GEM:

http://starlight.ina...e-merz/?lang=en

Edited by Kasmos, 16 May 2021 - 04:09 AM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and jkmccarthy like this

#79 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:54 AM

As for mount colors, these folks (link below) have a one with a green mount and both of Dave Trott's (alt-az and GEM) are green. That said they are also seen in black.

Dave's unmarked alt-az has Mogey written on the side of the lens. He also says Mogey is one of a few companies to use 1.25" accessories.

Links:

http://www.theskyscr...findtext= mogey

Dave Trott Mogey video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=hAMCzuqOmQo

There are other differences but the bevel on the front of the cell on this wood tube Merz looks very similar:

https://astromart.co...e-updated-11629

Another wood tube Merz. This time on a GEM:

http://starlight.ina...e-merz/?lang=en

Thanks for doing the research.  Very interesting.  I do like the green color.  Goes very nicely with the brass.

• Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#80 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:48 AM

I take it the mount parts that are not brass are cast iron.  Who has had experience painting cast iron?  What is the best primer and paint to use?  I presume the answer will be Rust Oleum.

Edited by starman876, 17 May 2021 - 07:48 AM.

#81 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:42 AM

The tube without the paint

attachicon.gifmogey tube.JPG

WOW!  That tube is GORGEOUS!!

Edited by mpsteidle, 17 May 2021 - 09:43 AM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#82 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:44 AM

Also, are you going to source a brass finder scope to replace the aluminum one?  It would certainly look the part.

#83 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:00 AM

I take it the mount parts that are not brass are cast iron.  Who has had experience painting cast iron?  What is the best primer and paint to use?  I presume the answer will be Rust Oleum.

I’ve used Rust-Oleum on several cast iron Jaegers and Edmund mounts, counterweights, and pedestal feet and it has held up very well. I cleaned the surfaces with a wire brush and steel wool. No primer. I believe the paint was self priming. Imdid two coats and let it air dry outside. I’ve used flat black, satin black, and grey. All worked well. 

#84 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:02 AM

WOW!  That tube is GORGEOUS!!

Thanks

#85 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:23 AM

Looks like etching primer and maybe Hunter green for the mount cast iron parts.   Any opinion for a different color from Mogey pictures would be appreciated. 

#86 semlin

semlin

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:35 AM

very nice.  if you want to treat and preserve the wood naturally without changing the colour, consider organic purified linseed oil.  i have used this stuff extensively on everything from dried out 100 year old window frames to antique furniture to pine siding and it is fantastic.  the 8 ounce jug is very reasonably priced.  it will slightly darken fresh pine.  i doubt it will effect that ota.

https://solventfreep...ducts/92008.jpg

#87 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:40 PM

very nice.  if you want to treat and preserve the wood naturally without changing the colour, consider organic purified linseed oil.  i have used this stuff extensively on everything from dried out 100 year old window frames to antique furniture to pine siding and it is fantastic.  the 8 ounce jug is very reasonably priced.  it will slightly darken fresh pine.  i doubt it will effect that ota.

https://solventfreep...ducts/92008.jpg

Thanks, I will check into it.

#88 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:41 PM

Also, are you going to source a brass finder scope to replace the aluminum one?  It would certainly look the part.

I have looked and looked for one, but no luck so far.

#89 semlin

semlin

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

better link for the linseed oil.  i have purchased gallons from these guys for house restoration.

https://www.solventf...linseed_oil.htm

#90 semlin

semlin

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:12 PM

I have looked and looked for one, but no luck so far.

can you perhaps find a small vintage collapsible scope and fabricate a fixed ota out of brass tubing?

#91 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 02:31 PM

can you perhaps find a small vintage collapsible scope and fabricate a fixed ota out of brass tubing?

Want to keep it as original as I can.  We will see.

#92 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:21 PM

The finder that came with it looked like it fit the finder mounts well. Are the finder mounts brass? If so, just a notion. Maybe you can find some brass tubes and or bits to cover parts of the finder with what you might call sleeves, and paint some of the parts that you have trouble covering. Brass drain pipes come to mind and come in several diameters.

#93 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:53 PM

As far as a finish for the wooden tube I would use an oil varnish like the ones used on vintage Martin guitars.  My wooden tube Gregg/Bardou has it's original oil varnish, still looks sharp!  An oil varnish is mostly linseed oil mixed with some natural resin like copal or damar.  Some fine woodworking supply will have a selection.  Follow sanding and thinning directions!  Use a disposable foam brush to apply the varnish.  And don't skimp on the number of coats.  When I'm varnishing things on my sailboat I routinely do 12 coats, mostly to fight UV sunlight.  But be prepared to do at least 6 coats on a telescope tube, it will be worth it.  

• Terra Nova, jcruse64 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#94 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:55 PM

As far as a finish for the wooden tube I would use an oil varnish like the ones used on vintage Martin guitars.  My wooden tube Gregg/Bardou has it's original oil varnish, still looks sharp!  An oil varnish is mostly linseed oil mixed with some natural resin like copal or damar.  Some fine woodworking supply will have a selection.  Follow sanding and thinning directions!  Use a disposable foam brush to apply the varnish.  And don't skimp on the number of coats.  When I'm varnishing things on my sailboat I routinely do 12 coats, mostly to fight UV sunlight.  But be prepared to do at least 6 coats on a telescope tube, it will be worth it.  

considering I love making wood look good that sounds like good advice.  12 coats on the teak.  Wow, two is about all I got patience for.   Instead of a brush I might use a spray gun.  

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#95 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:08 PM

There was  a Linseed oil based varnish I used on rifle stocks of collectable pellet rifles.....Antique oil ?  It did darkened it just one shade  but it looks great and lasts

En Re vessels:

12 coats is indeed impressive Four coats on the teak was a lot of work after doing that once    I used to put a coat or two on every year and we never had to go down to bare wood again

The C and C 110 we have now has no exterior Teak to do.....but it is missing that look    we are not missing that work

BTW she is in the water but I have yet had the time to bend on the main and Genoa 

#96 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:01 PM

The Varnish

How steeped in beauty these old names are:

Saffron, Sandalwood, Cinnibar.

Copal,Amber, and Orpiment,

All with color and some with scent.

Names like music that said or sung

Melt their honey upon the tongue.

Well I will keep an eye out for you sailing on the Sound.  If you see an International Folkboat sail number 3088, that's me!

#97 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:26 PM

The Varnish

How steeped in beauty these old names are:

Saffron, Sandalwood, Cinnibar.

Copal,Amber, and Orpiment,

All with color and some with scent.

Names like music that said or sung

Melt their honey upon the tongue.

Well I will keep an eye out for you sailing on the Sound.  If you see an International Folkboat sail number 3088, that's me!

I sail in the chesapeake bay.  Will have to try the linseed oil based varnish.

• Bomber Bob, Ben Bajorek and Defenderslideguitar like this

#98 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 19 May 2021 - 12:36 AM

Hobbyists (and some professionals) who build their own solid-body electric guitars rave about "Tru Oil" (marketed and sold as a finish for rifle gunstocks) as a high-gloss and very durable wipe-on finish.  So if starman876 is interested in a high-gloss rather than matte finish for his tube, this product might also be worth investigating .... https://www.google.c...il"&sclient=img

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#99 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:43 AM

Hobbyists (and some professionals) who build their own solid-body electric guitars rave about "Tru Oil" (marketed and sold as a finish for rifle gunstocks) as a high-gloss and very durable wipe-on finish. So if starman876 is interested in a high-gloss rather than matte finish for his tube, this product might also be worth investigating .... https://www.google.c...il"&sclient=img

Tru Oil is awesome!! I refinished a 1920 rifle stock with it. Really beautiful!

Al

#100 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:07 PM

+1 for Tru oil is indeed very easy to use and can simply apply with your fingers. The more coats you put on, the more glass like the finish becomes. If you don’t want glass like then simply rub the final coat with 0000 steel wool to dull the finish to your liking all the way to matte finish. Extremely easy stuff to work with. 

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics