•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Mogey Restoration

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#126 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:27 PM

i have not heard of plaster.  i am familiar with using sawdust soaked in acetone applied as a poultice to suck the stain out.  the trick is to seal it off from the air completely with a plastic bag and tape and give it a couple of days in a cool place.  plaster might be less messy.

so many tricks you can use on wood.  Simply amazing.  I was surprised how brush cleaner and steel wool worked so well together to strip paint.

#127 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2021 - 03:42 PM

I was in the process is making a slow motion control from brass rod, a wood handle and a small universal joint. while looking for something else I found this old control I had forgotten about.  The question I have is?  does it look like an antique or is it an fake?  It is wood and brass.

slow motion.JPG

• Jim Curry, steve t, JonH and 2 others like this

#128 semlin

semlin

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:11 PM

the figured wood definitely looks vintage.  a modern copy would likely have a uniform wood grain.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#129 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:32 PM

post-44298-0-20113200-1621084921.jpg

Any similarities (and/or notable maker-specific differences) between starman876's objective lens and cell (above) to this rediscovered 5" objective lens and cell (below) ...

post-6554-0-11308800-1622142230.jpg

... shared in the Vintage finds topic today by DAVIDG here -- https://www.cloudyni...nds/?p=11128780  ?    (What looks in DAVIDG's photo like a knurled or ornate-rope-like detail in the rim of the cell are -- I think -- really just digital picture 'jaggies' and/or jpeg compression artifacts in the posted photo ...)   What I'm most struck by are the similar concave shapes at the front of each cell, in the region between the front surface of the glass and the outer rim of the cell ... but maybe that was a common(?) feature among turn-of-the-century (late 1890s) lens makers ?

Edited by jkmccarthy, 27 May 2021 - 04:39 PM.

• oldscope, R Botero, steve t and 2 others like this

#130 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:47 PM

Johann's inner lens cell is very similar in appearance with my Mogey 3" F14.  (But back then, the makers copied each other, same as today.)  If the retaining ring has 3 raised areas at 120* each, then the internals are the same, too.

AB3R - Lens Reassembled CN3s.jpg

The "rope" scalloped rim is also pretty common - to get a grip!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 27 May 2021 - 04:48 PM.

• steve t and jkmccarthy like this

#131 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2021 - 07:32 PM

Do not have three areas  raised on my cell.   Pictures coming.  One thing I did notice that there seem to be a lot of air bubbles in the glass. 

#132 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 27 May 2021 - 07:34 PM

I was in the process is making a slow motion control from brass rod, a wood handle and a small universal joint. while looking for something else I found this old control I had forgotten about.  The question I have is?  does it look like an antique or is it an fake?  It is wood and brass.

attachicon.gifslow motion.JPG

Looks antique to me! I think you should use it!

Edited by Terra Nova, 28 May 2021 - 10:48 AM.

• mpsteidle likes this

#133 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2021 - 07:55 PM

I know that lenses without air bubbles were not successfully made until the late 18 century.  Makes me wonder how old this lens is??

#134 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

mogey lens 12.JPG

mogey lens 13.JPG

better pictures of the lens

• R Botero, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#135 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

one more

Attached Thumbnails

• mogey lens 14.JPG

• R Botero, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#136 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:03 PM

I know that lenses without air bubbles were not successfully made until the late 18 century.  Makes me wonder how old this lens is??

Maybe it's a much newer lens but super rotten quality? 

Sorry, that was the only thing I found to bounce off at the other end of the rubber room. A somewhat staged situation. Never mind me. Sometimes I end up sitting in the middle of that room singing "You are the Light of My Life" to a bare 40 watt bulb that hangs there.

#137 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2021 - 10:06 PM

Maybe it's a much newer lens but super rotten quality? 

Sorry, that was the only thing I found to bounce off at the other end of the rubber room. A somewhat staged situation. Never mind me. Sometimes I end up sitting in the middle of that room singing "You are the Light of My Life" to a bare 40 watt bulb that hangs there.

It will be alright when you get your prescription refill

• mpsteidle likes this

#138 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 27 May 2021 - 10:21 PM

Do not have three areas  raised on my cell.   Pictures coming.  One thing I did notice that there seem to be a lot of air bubbles in the glass. 

So... the retaining ring threads into the back of the cell?  On my Mogey, the retaining ring is a thick brass band with 3 rises held in place by 3 tiny screws around the outside -- it's unthreaded.

#139 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:29 AM

So... the retaining ring threads into the back of the cell?  On my Mogey, the retaining ring is a thick brass band with 3 rises held in place by 3 tiny screws around the outside -- it's unthreaded.

The lens cell screws into holding cell.   The lens cell has another ring that screws in to hold the glass.  No screws.  

• Bomber Bob likes this

#140 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:48 AM

Just me, but the refractor looks decades older than mine - and seems to have some better / fancier machining.  The lens cell on mine is thick brass everywhere, but very basic construction. Even with the simple things, like the lens cap, your antique is an upgrade.  Are those black tabs I see spacers?

With these very old fracs, I look at it this way:

- It survived to the present because folks liked it (or forgot about it!), but It Survived.  So many don't.

- Undamaged Lens -- uncork the champagne!

- Original Mounts & Tripods are a Big BONUS.  

- Original undamaged un-molded usable Eyepieces... Yes!!

- Original undamaged un-molded usable Diagonal... You must be livin' right.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 28 May 2021 - 05:59 AM.

• semlin and Defenderslideguitar like this

#141 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:58 AM

Just me, but the refractor looks decades older than mine - and seems to have some better / fancier machining.  Even with the simple things, like the lens cap.  Are those black tabs I see spacers?

has three black spacers.   

• Bomber Bob likes this

#142 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 28 May 2021 - 07:32 AM

Regardless of whether or not that control rod is "Fake", it is absolutely gorgeous.  If it feels solid I would use it in a heartbeat!

#143 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 28 May 2021 - 08:53 AM

Bart Fried on the Antique Telescope Society gave a talk to the Springfield Telescope Makers back in March on the history of Mogey. If  I remember correctly they didn't  start making scopes until the 1870's and it wasn't until the 1890's that really got going. 

Is it  the flint that has the bubbles ? The most likely  reason is that they just couldn't get bubble free flint at the time.  Put the lens up on the test stand and test it. Unfortunately  many of these old lens I have tested weren't the best. The knowledge of how to test and correct them wasn't widely known and the quality of the glass wasn't the highest. 

It was the Clarks that invented double pass autocollimation and in my opinion why they got the reputation they have.  It wasn't some magical design or magical glass type, they just figured them better because they had a better test. 

- Dave 

• jkmccarthy likes this

#144 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:52 AM

Bart Fried on the Antique Telescope Society gave a talk to the Springfield Telescope Makers back in March on the history of Mogey. If  I remember correctly they didn't  start making scopes until the 1870's and it wasn't until the 1890's that really got going. 

Is it  the flint that has the bubbles ? The most likely  reason is that they just couldn't get bubble free flint at the time.  Put the lens up on the test stand and test it. Unfortunately  many of these old lens I have tested weren't the best. The knowledge of how to test and correct them wasn't widely known and the quality of the glass wasn't the highest. 

It was the Clarks that invented double pass autocollimation and in my opinion why they got the reputation they have.  It wasn't some magical design or magical glass type, they just figured them better because they had a better test. 

- Dave 

They look like they are in the crown. Well that is unless the flint is forward.

#145 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

Posted 28 May 2021 - 10:08 AM

They look like they are in the crown. Well that is unless the flint is forward.

If the flint is forward the odds are 99% that the elements are in backwards.  Mogey didn't make a flint forward lenses that I know of, it was Brashear that made some and usually they were larger then your 3" one.

Double pass will tell you in seconds if the lens is backwards or not. It is more common  then many believe and like I have said many times if the lens is backwards you'll still get  an OK image and not a fuzzy mess so people believe all is fine and keep repeating the same mistake. So don't assume it is right. All you have to do is test it then turn the lens around on the stand and test again and see which way tests better.

They usually didn't have problems with crown glass getting bubbles it was the flint that had the issues but anything is possible with these old lenses.

- Dave 

• jkmccarthy likes this

#146 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2021 - 10:42 AM

I am sure the len is in correctly.  I am now trying to figure out who made the scope.   There is nothing on the scope that provides a clue (well to me)  The fact the tube is wood with a walnut veneer  I was hoping would be a clue as to the age and maybe the maker. 

#147 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 28 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

Bart Fried on the Antique Telescope Society gave a talk to the Springfield Telescope Makers back in March on the history of Mogey.  [....]

- Dave 

Might there be a recording (video, or simply audio) of this talk ??   (In pandemic times, I'm guessing the event might have been an on-line / virtual gathering ... making a recording maybe more likely, depending on the platform employed ....).     If so, a link would be much appreciated and likely of interest to many who are following this thread, even if only casually and from afar ....

-- Jim

#148 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

Posted 28 May 2021 - 01:37 PM

Might there be a recording (video, or simply audio) of this talk ??   (In pandemic times, I'm guessing the event might have been an on-line / virtual gathering ... making a recording maybe more likely, depending on the platform employed ....).     If so, a link would be much appreciated and likely of interest to many who are following this thread, even if only casually and from afar ....

-- Jim

Bart is member here and goes by Oldscope so I would send him a message and ask were his talk might be posted for public viewing.

- Dave 

#149 Ken Launie

Ken Launie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 May 2021 - 03:33 PM

attachicon.gifslow motion.JPG

Looks genuine to me; I'd use it. The brass pin helping to attach it to the turned wood handle is a detail I've seen frequently on 19th century telescopes. Here's an image showing the two slow motion control rods on my Dollond from ~1830.

--Ken

Attached Thumbnails

• Slow motion control rods.jpg

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#150 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2021 - 03:52 PM

here is the two rods together.  The one I made and what now appears to be an original waytogo.gif

mogey controls.JPG

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics