I know that lenses without air bubbles were not successfully made until the late 18 century. Makes me wonder how old this lens is??
Just me, but the refractor looks decades older than mine - and seems to have some better / fancier machining. The lens cell on mine is thick brass everywhere, but very basic construction. Even with the simple things, like the lens cap, your antique is an upgrade. Are those black tabs I see spacers?
With these very old fracs, I look at it this way:
- It survived to the present because folks liked it (or forgot about it!), but It Survived. So many don't.
- Undamaged Lens -- uncork the champagne!
- Original Mounts & Tripods are a Big BONUS.
- Original undamaged un-molded usable Eyepieces... Yes!!
- Original undamaged un-molded usable Diagonal... You must be livin' right.
Edited by Bomber Bob, 28 May 2021 - 05:59 AM.