•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Mogey Restoration

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#151 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:06 PM

Looks genuine to me; I'd use it. The brass pin helping to attach it to the turned wood handle is a detail I've seen frequently on 19th century telescopes. Here's an image showing the two slow motion control rods on my Dollond from ~1830.

--Ken

in your picture there are some cylinders near the focuser, what are they for?  On the wood tube I have  it looks like at one time there was something attached near the objective.  There are three holes and on the inside you can see the impressions of where square nuts used to be.   Any clue what would have been attached there?

#152 Ken Launie

Ken Launie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:53 PM

in your picture there are some cylinders near the focuser, what are they for?  On the wood tube I have  it looks like at one time there was something attached near the objective.  There are three holes and on the inside you can see the impressions of where square nuts used to be.   Any clue what would have been attached there?

They're telescoping stabilizers. Their length can change as the tube is swung about. They have tapered pins at the bottom that drop into holes at the base of the three feet of the stand. As the scope is swung about in azimuth the lower ends can be swapped back and forth. Here's a wider angle view that will explain all (I think):

In my Dollond's case there are two, attaching near the eyepiece, but I've seen many examples where there's just a single stabilizing rod at the front end. That may be what yours had at one time. I have a large Browning Newtonian with such a front stabilizer. Here's a photo of that beast, on the right:

--Ken

Attached Thumbnails

• Dollond rear stabilizers.jpg
  • Browning as found 2.jpg

• davidmcgo, astro140, starman876 and 4 others like this

#153 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:16 PM

My Harris scope has provisions for the stabilizers , but I do not have any.  you do not see them pop up for sale very often.

#154 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2021 - 12:26 PM

I have been doing some research and wood tubes went out of style about 1860.   This places the scope at a much earlier time than the mount.   Any opinions?

#155 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 03:29 PM

I have been doing some research and wood tubes went out of style about 1860.   This places the scope at a much earlier time than the mount.   Any opinions?

You're very lucky?

None of my 19th century astronomy books talk about makers other than for big observatory instruments. The 1898 Amateur Telescopist's Handbook does say that bubbles in the glass should be avoided if possible, but if they can't, it only reduces the light gathering by a tiny amount. It also says that wood tubes can take longer to cool, and produce more tube currents. So it seems that although bubble-free glass was first developed in 1805, bubbles were still common later in the century, especially for smaller scopes. But, as you say, wood tubes were falling out of favor before then. However, if it was made by an amateur or small shop, it could have been a bit later than 1860. 

Chip W. 

#156 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2021 - 03:43 PM

You're very lucky?

None of my 19th century astronomy books talk about makers other than for big observatory instruments. The 1898 Amateur Telescopist's Handbook does say that bubbles in the glass should be avoided if possible, but if they can't, it only reduces the light gathering by a tiny amount. It also says that wood tubes can take longer to cool, and produce more tube currents. So it seems that although bubble-free glass was first developed in 1805, bubbles were still common later in the century, especially for smaller scopes. But, as you say, wood tubes were falling out of favor before then. However, if it was made by an amateur or small shop, it could have been a bit later than 1860. 

Chip W. 

I just wish there was a way to date the scope and figure out who made it.   I might have to take the lens out and  examine it closer

#157 Ken Launie

Ken Launie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 May 2021 - 05:24 PM

I know of a Clark wooden tube refractor dated 1867, and I believe there are some from even later. It's not like every maker got the idea to change what they were doing at the same time, and a given maker might have had different buyers with different tube preferences in the same year. In my opinion the tube assembly was made around the 1860's, two or three decades before the mount it's now on. The holes near the objective probably indicate a stabilizer from a previous mount that might still have been too shaky, for example. Many scopes get remounted after all.

--Ken

• astro140, starman876, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#158 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2021 - 05:43 PM

Lathes to slice wood veneer started about 1820.   The veneer on the tube is very well made.  even though wood veneer dates much earlier the fact that is so smooth indicates it was machine cut and fitted to the tube.

#159 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2021 - 04:58 PM

have not been working on the scope much this week.  Been busy getting the solarium ready to set up.   

• Terra Nova likes this

#160 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:36 AM

Going to take the legs to a place that does paint stripping.   Just not going to sand what is most likely lead paint.    Paint stripper was OK, but no sanding. 

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and AstroKerr like this

#161 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:46 AM

Any news on the legs?

#162 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:05 AM

Been busy making the footers for the solariam.  Will get back to the legs shortly.  Thanks for the interest.

• mdowns, Terra Nova and mpsteidle like this

#163 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Where are the legs!  I am dying to see this thing assembled! 4.gif

Edited by mpsteidle, Yesterday, 03:27 PM.

• GoodAsh likes this

#164 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted Today, 06:39 AM

Where are the legs! I am dying to see this thing assembled! 4.gif

Me too Johann! I want to see what I was too lazy to drive to Pittsburgh for! Hahaha

Al
  • Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#165 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Page, AZ 36°54'45"N 111°27'39"W 1327.7AMSL

Posted Today, 10:05 AM

Look, here's a pound note for each of you - scurry off to the Confectioner's and have a treat and let the man work, will you? Good lads!

#166 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 03:03 PM

Where are the legs!  I am dying to see this thing assembled! 4.gif

Working on it.  Just been busy and have not been able to break free to drop them off to have them stripped. 

#167 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 03:04 PM

Look, here's a pound note for each of you - scurry off to the Confectioner's and have a treat and let the man work, will you? Good lads!

you are such a good guy.waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics