•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Mogey Restoration

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#176 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 08 July 2021 - 01:35 PM

You can rule out Mogey with 100% certanty (for the OTA). They didn't make a single wood tube telescope because they didn't start making complete telescopes until they bought out William T. Gregg in 1882. Before that, all they did was supply lenses starting in 1878. They were, by profession, brass polishers, too, until getting into the instrument business. So, no wood tubes.

Bart F.

I made those comments before knowing the tube was wood, but it's good to hear more info. on that subject.

Just throwing this out there. After reading the post linked below (and some other sources), it made me wonder if the OTA might have come from James W. Queen? It appears that they sourced many components from several sources in Europe. I know it doesn't necessarily connect the two but Queen was located in PA and that's where the scope in question was found.

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11215023

Edited by Kasmos, 08 July 2021 - 01:37 PM.

• oldscope likes this

#177 oldscope

oldscope

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: State of perpetual confusion

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

The lens cell screws into holding cell.   The lens cell has another ring that screws in to hold the glass.  No screws.

Proper nomenclature:

Lens ... the glass stuff
Cell ... the ring that the Lens sits inside
Rear (or sometimes front) Retaining ring ... holds the glass stuff, the lens ... inside the cell.
Counter-Cell, also called Cell Housing ... the bigger ring that the cell is attached to and which attaches to the tube.
Push-Pull Cell ... when the cell is attached to the front of the counter-cell by three sets of push-pull screws allowing for collimation.

Bart F.
  • jkmccarthy likes this

#178 oldscope

oldscope

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:24 PM

Might there be a recording (video, or simply audio) of this talk ??   (In pandemic times, I'm guessing the event might have been an on-line / virtual gathering ... making a recording maybe more likely, depending on the platform employed ....).     If so, a link would be much appreciated and likely of interest to many who are following this thread, even if only casually and from afar ....

-- Jim

Bart has a Powerpoint that anyone is welcome to view. Just ask.

wink.gif

#179 oldscope

oldscope

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:27 PM

in your picture there are some cylinders near the focuser, what are they for?  On the wood tube I have  it looks like at one time there was something attached near the objective.  There are three holes and on the inside you can see the impressions of where square nuts used to be.   Any clue what would have been attached there?

Possibly a counterweight bar for a small sliding counterweight. The ones at the front counterbalance heavy accessories like a camera, micrometer or other heavy contraption.

Bart F.

#180 oldscope

oldscope

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

I have been doing some research and wood tubes went out of style about 1860.   This places the scope at a much earlier time than the mount.   Any opinions?

A John Byrne produced for West Virginia University was dated at 1883 and had a wood tube which burned (Byrned?) in a fire. Some parts remain though.

For every rule, you will find exceptions, but certainly wood tubes were out of favor by the later 1870's with most makers. In Italy, one maker was making wood tube telescopes into the 1930's though!

Bart F.
  • astro140 and Bomber Bob like this

#181 oldscope

oldscope

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:40 PM

I made those comments before knowing the tube was wood, but it's good to hear more info. on that subject.

Just throwing this out there. After reading the post linked below (and some other sources), it made me wonder if the OTA might have come from James W. Queen? It appears that they sourced many components from several sources in Europe. I know it doesn't necessarily connect the two but Queen was located in PA and that's where the scope in question was found.

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11215023

Hmnn ... that's a real leap of logic. Since the OTA was later married to the Mogey mount, I don't think you can make any logical connection to Philadelphia. That said, all of the Queen catalogs exist and one could search them for similar OTA's. But it is possible that this OTA was made in Europe, too. The owner has a real rabbit hole to dive into on this one. He'll be an expert in wood tube telescopes in no time! LOL

Bart F.

#182 oldscope

oldscope

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:58 PM

That's a nice set of Brashear eyepieces you have there. Happy to buy them if you want to sell them! LOL

Bart F.

BTW, the eyepiece holder for this OTA is almost certainly a replacement. Something struck me as odd that it had a different finish. When this OTA was made, 1.25" had not yet become a standard size. In fact no maker was using it. Clark was 1-1/8; Fitz was 1.29, as was early Mogey and very early Brashear telescopes. Much of Europe was using screw in eyepieces. Brashear introduced the 1.25" in the latter 1880's. I think whomever owned this telescope made a replacement eyepiece holder. It's style just doesn't quite fit the rest of the telescope, IMHO. But it allowed the owner to use those nice Brashear eyepieces.

Does anyone concur?

Bart F.

Edited by oldscope, 08 July 2021 - 02:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics