•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Windows version of "Our Galaxy" now available

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:04 AM

When Our Galaxy was released on iOS and macOS, one of the first questions I got was “When will it be released for Windows and Android?”

After 10 months of work (including about 5 months wasted on a technology that ultimately didn’t pan out), Our Galaxy 2.0  is now available on Windows.  I ended up using C# and the Unity 3D game engine to write the new version.   If you visit my Download page you will find links for the Windows, Android, iOS, macOS and Web versions.  

Our Galaxy on Windows is being released as a UWP application available on the Microsoft Store.  For those on earlier versions of Windows there is a link to a basic installer that should work for you.  Note that by-passing the Microsoft Store means you won't get notified of app updates.

The app is totally free so give it a try.  If you like it, I'd appreciate your leaving a review on the Microsoft Store.

I would also appreciate any suggestions for improvements.

Bill

• EVS, astro_1, Joe1950 and 2 others like this

#2 astro_1

astro_1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Nebraska

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:34 AM

Thanks! cool visual app

• btschumy likes this

#3 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:26 AM

Nice job Bill. Works great.

JohnD

• btschumy likes this

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:39 PM

Thanks Bill.  I bought it for iOS too. Just to say thanks for developing it!

al

• btschumy likes this

#5 cmaier

cmaier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

When Our Galaxy was released on iOS and macOS, one of the first questions I got was “When will it be released for Windows and Android?”

After 10 months of work (including about 5 months wasted on a technology that ultimately didn’t pan out), Our Galaxy 2.0  is now available on Windows.  I ended up using C# and the Unity 3D game engine to write the new version.   If you visit my Download page you will find links for the Windows, Android, iOS, macOS and Web versions.  

Our Galaxy on Windows is being released as a UWP application available on the Microsoft Store.  For those on earlier versions of Windows there is a link to a basic installer that should work for you.  Note that by-passing the Microsoft Store means you won't get notified of app updates.

The app is totally free so give it a try.  If you like it, I'd appreciate your leaving a review on the Microsoft Store.

I would also appreciate any suggestions for improvements.

Bill

Is there a way to download it with out a microsoft account?

#6 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:20 PM

If you got to my Download page there is a standalone installer you can use.  This is only semi-supported since there is not an automatic updater and the app is not signed.  I mainly have this for folks on earlier versions of Windows than 10.  The App Store is the way to go if you can.

https://otherwise.com/download/

Bill

#7 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:12 PM

Is this WhereIsM13 on steroids? When did you start with that, Bill, 15 years ago?

#8 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2021 - 09:47 PM

Yes, this is a continuation of my fascination with where things are three dimensionally in the Galaxy.  

When I first wrote "Where is M13?" in 2006, I always hoped to make it have a fully 3D view rather than the paired face-on and edge-on views. Now that I'm technically retired, I'm finally able to make it happen.

• Jon Isaacs and Mark9473 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics