•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is an Astro-Tech AT80ED too heavy for Sky Watcher Star Adventurer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lornet

Lornet

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:20 AM

The spec page says the OTA is 6 lbs 3.2 oz. and that includes rings and dovetail.   The mount rated capacity is 11 lbs but I know, I know, ymmv.

I'd be interested in imaging with it, either with a Canon M50 (mirrorless so it's a lighter DSLR) or a ZWO camera (I currently have the ASI385).

Would either setup work or would it be too heavy?

LT

#2 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:31 AM

What I've read is that when these are set up on a sturdy tripod, people have had success with them for imaging. You are in the ball park regarding weight, and its a short scope anyways.

I just received a Skywatcher AZ-GTI but its still in the box for a few more weeks. I bought it for my AT-92 but I plan to use it as a visual scope only. Its an 8 pound OTA so in my case, it should be fine.

..Ralph

• Lornet likes this

#3 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:10 PM

Weight is a somewhat lesser concern if start to think about sampling and the required tracking accuracy.

Taking good subs at 600mm with cameras whose pixels are somewhat small is not trivial and usually requires much more capable devices (full sized mounts or high-end trackers).

Also mind that the stated weight is not an absolute value but "includes" also the geometry of the payload: I deem practical to use those trackers with loads which could be balanced through the stock counterweight and "declination axis".

If need extra CWs or a longer CW shaft, then is time to look elsewhere

#4 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:21 PM

Short answer:  Yes.

Longer answer:  Depends on whether you care about having round stars.   The SA is really designed for ultra wide field lens imaging.  Sure there are a couple of people on here who have proven it's possible to put a small scope on there but why stack the deck against yourself?  There are plenty of low cost mount options that could handle the load you are asking about, but the SA is not a good choice. 

• Lornet likes this

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:35 AM

I had a Lomo 80mm f/6 in a WO tube (which is one of the heavier 80mm's out there) on a Star Adventurer. It wasn't great, but it worked.  It wasn't balanced with the stock counterweight, but the mount handled it. The weak point was the wedge.

• Lornet likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics