•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Setting up the AVX for GOTO++ help.

Astrophotography Celestron Equipment EQ Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Park, Colorado

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:42 AM

Hi all,

Tonight its a clear sky and I want to begin imaging again. The last time I tried GOTO++ on NINA, it returned an error saying the mount wasn't completely set up (Slew is not possible if the scope is not aligned) . I guess I had started my star alignment, but I only input the time and date. ASTAP also failed the plate solve since for whatever reason (I've changed it three times now) it's still stuck in a 4x4 bin, so I'll just switch to a different plate solving software for now until I can figure out what is wrong with ASTAP. 

Typically when I set up for astrophotography, I do these steps after I have leveled the mount:

1. Polar Align using the polemaster

2. Balance the telescope to the best of my ability

3. Connect camera

4. Turn on the mount and input the time and date

5. Connect the mount to the laptop

6. focus the telescope

7. Begin star alignment

8. Slew to target

9. Calibrate PHD2

10. Begin imaging

The night I tried to plate solve, I did steps 1-10, but skipped step 7. 

Here's my main question:

What steps do I need to take/adjust to set up my Celestron AVX for GOTO++ on the hand control so I can just slew to and center my target?

Thanks,

Gabe.

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:04 PM

I don't bother with a star align.  I just balance, polar align, then "quick align".  I connect the mount and cameras through ASCOM at this point.  I focus, slew near merian and celestial eq, do a plate solve and sync the mount only (no slew), calibrate PHD2, platesolve to target, then focus, focus, focus, image, focus, focus, focus, ... .

ASTAP tries to solve what you give it.  If you give it a bin4 image, it will try to solve a bin4 image.

• 42itous1 and Juno18 like this

#3 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:50 PM

ASTAP tries to solve what you give it.  If you give it a bin4 image, it will try to solve a bin4 image.

That's the issue with ASTAP, it won't let me change it to a 1x1 bin, I've set it three times now.

#4 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:10 PM

I don't get on with NINA but in APT I would do the following:

1) Roughly polar align mount

2) Accurately polar align with Polemaster

3) Mount scope, camera and balance

4) Check polar alignment with Polemaster

5) Connect to mount through HC with CPWI

6) Quick align

7) Use CPWI slew to target

8) Take image and plate solve with APT

9) Sync mount

10) Use APT to slew to target

11) Focus and start imaging.

Edited by robbieg147, 12 May 2021 - 02:11 PM.

#5 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:41 PM

I've have changed it 3 times to a 1x1 bin, keeps going back to a 4x4. NINA tried to force it to a 2x2, still cannot solve.

#6 han.k

han.k

ASTAP Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:17 PM

I've have changed it 3 times to a 1x1 bin, keeps going back to a 4x4. NINA tried to force it to a 2x2, still cannot solve.

???? What binning did you set in Nina for ASTAP? Nina will with the command line overrule any ASTAP setting. In most cases you can just set the downsample/binning at 0 which means auto.

Han

• 42itous1 and ButterFly like this

#7 42itous1

42itous1

Viking 1

• Loc: Wilton, CA

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

I do almost the same thing--but--I just go from 6) quick align--straight to NINA  to slew to target-platesolve and sync--no need for CPWI -- I use celestron ascom driver. 

I don't get on with NINA but in APT I would do the following:

1) Roughly polar align mount

2) Accurately polar align with Polemaster

3) Mount scope, camera and balance

4) Check polar alignment with Polemaster

5) Connect to mount through HC with CPWI

6) Quick align

7) Use CPWI slew to target

8) Take image and plate solve with APT

9) Sync mount

10) Use APT to slew to target

11) Focus and start imaging.

#8 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 13 May 2021 - 02:10 AM

I do almost the same thing--but--I just go from 6) quick align--straight to NINA  to slew to target-platesolve and sync--no need for CPWI -- I use celestron ascom driver. 

I like to use CPWI as I can mix and match different programs if I have a problem, perhaps this is possible doing it your way?

I get so few nights doing this I like to have lots of options.

#9 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vanguard

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:51 AM

I like to use CPWI as I can mix and match different programs if I have a problem, perhaps this is possible doing it your way?

I get so few nights doing this I like to have lots of options.

You just use the handcontroller's ASCOM driver rather than CPWI's ASCOM driver.  It's the same cable anyway, and it's one less thing running on the computer.  It's a different drop down item from the ASCOM telescope selection list.  That's all.  I can still get as many programs connected to the mount through ASCOM at the same time as I wish.

• 42itous1 and robbieg147 like this

#10 42itous1

42itous1

Viking 1

• Loc: Wilton, CA

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:23 AM

You just use the handcontroller's ASCOM driver rather than CPWI's ASCOM driver.  It's the same cable anyway, and it's one less thing running on the computer.  It's a different drop down item from the ASCOM telescope selection list.  That's all.  I can still get as many programs connected to the mount through ASCOM at the same time as I wish.

Yes--and I have found CPWI to have intermittent problems with PHD2--and random disconnects.  I have followed CPWI on teamcelestron since the beginning, and must say I was disappointed with their progress in development.  

#11 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:25 AM

I'm using CCDciel, not NINA, but the process should be roughly the same.

You need to get fully through the AVX initialization process before it can be used.  I use Quick Align for that, then slew to a bright star for focusing, then to the target to begin imaging.  Each of the slews is done under computer control, with a plate solve and sync.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Celestron, Equipment, EQ, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics