•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is needed for me to connect my camera?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dbracknell

Dbracknell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cleveland, Tennessee, USA

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:20 PM

I have a Celestron Omni xlt 102 what do I need in order to connect my Sony a6400 to the scope? Thanks!

#2 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

Moving to Beginning DSO Imaging.

smp

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:09 PM

You'll need a t-adapter for the camera that fits Sony's E-mount (easy to get on Amazon). Next, and depending upon the focuser, you'll need an adapter that will thread into the female t-threads on the aforementioned t-adapter. The latter will allow you to attach the camera with t-adapter to the focuser on your scope.

So, it will look something like the following:

< scope > <standard focuser tube, 1.25" or 2" >  [everything after this will need to be supplied by you] < 1.25" or 2" eyepiece tube adapter that terminates in a male t-thread > < t-adapter for Sony E mount > < your camera >

I don't know, your focuser may or may not have come with an attachment/adapter that ends with a male t-thread. If it did NOT then you'll need to purchase an adapter as shown above.

Here are some links to Amazon for the parts that you'll need (for a 2" focuser).

https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.c...6C6F03SCYWTV510

For a 1.25" focus tube you'll need this alternative (but the previous 2" adapter is preferred):

https://www.amazon.c...7S868CD7D195Y4R

In fact, if you look on Amazon you may be able to find a kit that includes both the E-mount adapter and the eyepiece tube adapter. Also, I'm NOT recommending the specific manufacturers/products shown above, there are many different offers on Amazon.

It's also possible that you'll need an extension tube to reach focus, since the camera might sit too close to the objective to reach focus even when the focuser is fully extended. In that case I'd get either a standard extension tube for your focuser (2 inch diameter, eyepiece tube), or some t-threaded extension tubes that can go between the t-adapter on the camera and the 1.25" or 2" eyepiece tube adapter.

Below is a picture of just such a setup (for a 2" focuser) on a Sony NEX-5R. The white part on the end (right) is just a dust cap. So, from left to right you have the camera, the t-mount adapter, and a 2" eyepiece tube adapter (with cap).

Attached Thumbnails

• Sony E-Mount Adapters.jpg

Edited by james7ca, 12 May 2021 - 09:28 PM.

#4 Dbracknell

Dbracknell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:21 PM

Perfect! Thank you james7ca!

#5 Dbracknell

Dbracknell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:47 PM

Ok, so I went and checked my scope, the 2 inch to 1.25 adapter does terminate in a male thread on the 1.25 side. So, if I understand correctly, all I should need is the actual adapter that will connect to my camera unless it doesn't focus, at which time I would need an extension tube? Understanding that the 2 inch is better, will 1.25 work to let me figure it out? Or, will I need to get the threaded adapter for the 2 inch tube?

Edited by Dbracknell, 12 May 2021 - 10:49 PM.

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 May 2021 - 12:20 AM

A 1.25" eyepiece tube can't provide more than about 28mm of clear opening while a t-thread has 42mm threads and an inside diameter of about 36mm. Thus, you'll have more vignetting with the 1.25" tube. The diagonal on a Sony APS-C sensor is about 28mm, but since the 1.25" tube is well forward of the focal point/sensor it will cause some vignetting (although it may not be that bad).

Other than that you can use the 1.25" eyepiece adapter you have and mount that to a standard t-adapter for the Sony E-mount.

And obviously, you'll only need extension tubes if you find that you can't focus at infinity even with the focuser fully extended.

Edited by james7ca, 13 May 2021 - 04:25 AM.

#7 Dbracknell

Dbracknell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:45 AM

Awesome! Thank you! And thanks for the links! I had found these exact ones before, but wasn't sure if that was actually what I needed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics