•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Detaching a secondary mirror from a Zhumell Z12

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Caspar

Caspar

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:39 PM

A couple of years ago my wife tried to kill my Zhumell Z12 aka "Big Baby" during a move.  The spider vanes were toast and the tube suffered a big ding however the secondary and primary survived intact.  The plan was to attempt to build a truss tube with the surviving mirror or to upgrade.  I don't have the time to start another project and buying a telescope lately is futile.  Anyhoo I ordered a replacement spider vane assembly from FPI Protostar before reading any reviews.  I have to hand it to them though.  They got my order to me in under two weeks.  So my first dilemma, which I am sure there will be a few more to follow, is detaching secondary from the stock Zhumell Holder.  Is it a matter of working a razor knife between the mirror and the holder or is there a better way?  Any help is appreciated.

#2 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:58 PM

I have used a very fine wire using gloves to protect my fingers and hand.
It is best to have a second person to hole the secondary holder while you
Remove the secondary. Beware if you use a razor blade.
  • wrvond likes this

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:10 PM

I’ve used a single edge blade but it can be very scary. One of those Kraft knives that you can extend the blade several inches work well. Simply saw back and forth flush with the mirror back. Go slow, use very light pressure and be very careful of the mirror and yourself.

• jim kuhns likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics