•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light, Lunt 100 double-stack

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hamers

hamers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:02 PM

I'm on the very steep part of the learning curve on this.  After greatly enjoying  a Lunt LH100 front-mounted etalon on my Tak TSA-120, I decided to spring for a second etalon.  I had a little trouble getting all the electronics working today (USB  issues, etc) and then clouds were popping up all over the so in the end I only got a few decent iamges.  But it's a start. Fairly minimal processing as the seeing today didn't quite live up to what I had hoped.  FireCapture, best 15 frames stacked in Autostakkert, sharpened a little in Registaxx, final contrast in photoshop.Sun_123650_48_lapl2_ap6997_reg2 copy.jpg

Edited by hamers, 12 May 2021 - 09:38 PM.

• rigel123, hopskipson, BinoGuy and 8 others like this

#2 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:17 PM

Congrats on the Double Stack. Excellent Hamers!!

• hamers likes this

#3 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:07 PM

That’s amazing! now wait a min, did you say you had a Lunt front mounted etalon on your 120? so can I put a front mounted etalon on my 102 making it an H-alpha scope? I assume I would need an ERF at the diagonal too? I didn’t know one could do this. Would it not be cheaper than buying a separate dedicated H alpha scope no? Hmm.

#4 jwestervelt

jwestervelt

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:12 PM

That’s amazing! now wait a min, did you say you had a Lunt front mounted etalon on your 120? so can I put a front mounted etalon on my 102 making it an H-alpha scope? I assume I would need an ERF at the diagonal too? I didn’t know one could do this. Would it not be cheaper than buying a separate dedicated H alpha scope no? Hmm.

Lunt at one point did sell front-mounted etalons for attachment to third-party scopes.  You absolutely still need a blocking filter in addition, and those are not cheap.  An ERF may also be a requirement for larger apertures.

• Stellar1 likes this

#5 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:14 PM

Lunt at one point did sell front-mounted etalons for attachment to third-party scopes.  You absolutely still need a blocking filter in addition, and those are not cheap.  An ERF may also be a requirement for larger apertures.

I just came back to edit my query after realizing I forgot about the blocking filter, your post confirmed it, looks like it will be no less expensive at all.

• hamers likes this

#6 hamers

hamers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:41 PM

I just came back to edit my query after realizing I forgot about the blocking filter, your post confirmed it, looks like it will be no less expensive at all.

The Lunt 10cm etalon, to be front-mount on any scope, is still listed on their web site. It is probably not less expensive (maybe more expensive) than a dedicated solar telescope, but it takes up a lot less space in the dining room and all the peripherals can be immediately added or subtracted.  In my case, Lunt first supplied me with a 10cm etalon and an adapter the fit onto the end of my Tak. They did a beautiful job on that. At the time I was undecided about double-stack due ot the cost. But after using the single-stack, I decided i liked it enough to go with a double-stack.  As you are probably aware, every accessory for the Tak is expensive.  So by putting the etalon on my Tak instead of getting  a dedicated solar scope, I am able to easily switch back and forth and not be carrying around twice as much gear,  and I can use the Tak extender and reducer as desired, and not have to duplicate other accessories (Pegasus power-box, electronic focuser, etc). 

I should also mention that i'm a scientist by training and for most of my career I've been building or modifying commercial optical and electronic instruments. It's what I enjoy doing.  Others may be more focused on the final image, but, for me 'getting there is half the fun'. So from a pure cost standpoint it might not make the most sense. But from an enjoyment/satisfaction standpoint, it does.  If I was retired ( just a few more years to go) I'd probably be building the OTA from scratch. 

Edited by hamers, 12 May 2021 - 10:52 PM.

#7 HPaleske

HPaleske

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:53 PM

beautiful picture. Singleetalon is a duty doublestack is the freestyle. It takes many attempts to tune the two etalons well, whereby one has it somewhat easier in the front area.

cs Harald

www.unigraphprom.de

• hamers likes this

#8 hamers

hamers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:02 PM

beautiful picture. Singleetalon is a duty doublestack is the freestyle. It takes many attempts to tune the two etalons well, whereby one has it somewhat easier in the front area.

cs Harald

www.unigraphprom.de

Thanks!  The image is OK... seeing was not good. But like all things, success builds on success.     I love your unigraph images- they are truly amazing!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics