•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How can I improve NINA GoTo++ accuracy?

Astrophotography Celestron EQ Equipment Imaging Planetarium
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Park, Colorado

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:17 AM

Working with NINA has changed my astrophotography for the better. Tonight produced my first images of the M84 group and an area near the Sagittarius Star Cloud. Currently I'm using Astrometry.net plate solve for both the plate solver and blind solver. The solver isn't very accurate and is more hit or miss. 

How can I improve the goto accuracy? I run the AXV with a polemaster.

#2 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:35 AM

Use ASTAP maybe? :thinking:
  • Juno18 likes this

#3 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:40 AM

The blind solve should work no matter how far away from your chosen target you are but takes longer, for the local solve you need to be reasonably close to your selected object.

I find if I level the mount then the local solve nearly always works as the object will be much closer after quick aligning and slewing.

#4 RSJ

RSJ

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:46 AM

In NINA, there is also an 'error <' setting which sets the Plate Solving accuracy in arc minutes. This setting is found in two places in NINA, once under the Plate Solving tab/button in the Imaging dashboard, and then under the Options dashboard, under the Plate Solving tab.

Initially, I think this was set to allow an error of 1 arc min in pointing accuracy (re-slew until error < 1 arc min) and I've adjusted that and found that, with my setup and goals, a setting of 0.6 improved centering the object.

Depending on your FOV, 1 arc min could be a lot.

• Juno18 likes this

#5 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:49 AM

You must be running an ancient version of NINA if you still see that setting field labeled as "error <". In 1.10 and later, it's clarified as "Pointing Tolerance", and is found under Options > Plate Solving

As for the OP, make sure your computer's clock is accurate and hasn't drifted. Really, you ought to use ASTAP instead of enduring the slow process of uploading images to astrometry.net and waiting for it to finish a solve.

Edited by dghent, 13 May 2021 - 08:41 AM.

• mikefulb, Juno18 and OhmEye like this

#6 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Park, Colorado

Posted 13 May 2021 - 11:40 PM

You must be running an ancient version of NINA if you still see that setting field labeled as "error <". In 1.10 and later, it's clarified as "Pointing Tolerance", and is found under Options > Plate Solving

As for the OP, make sure your computer's clock is accurate and hasn't drifted. Really, you ought to use ASTAP instead of enduring the slow process of uploading images to astrometry.net and waiting for it to finish a solve.

The problem with ASTAP is that it is stuck in a 4x4 bin. I have reinstalled it, I have updated everything, doesn't work with my ZWO camera for god knows why, I have done almost every suggestion from the discord server and here, nothing worked. I'm using an older version of the ZWO 1600MM Cool (before the Pro), so maybe that's why.

#7 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:16 AM

The problem with ASTAP is that it is stuck in a 4x4 bin. I have reinstalled it, I have updated everything, doesn't work with my ZWO camera for god knows why, I have done almost every suggestion from the discord server and here, nothing worked. I'm using an older version of the ZWO 1600MM Cool (before the Pro), so maybe that's why.

4x4 exposures in NINA, or are you referring to ASTAP's own downsampling? That would be an odd issue for it to be stuck... either way, does this cause solves to fail? Camera model should not play a role in this issue.

#8 han.k

han.k

ASTAP Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:25 AM

An uncooled 1600 should work well with ASTAP.  Binning is dictated by Nina.  If even Astromery.net is failing sometimes, there should be something wrong with the settings.

Binning is defined in Nina at:

Untitled.png

The left one "2" is for the image taken. The 0 at the ASTAP setting is auto. So if an image is too large ASTAP will bin again. Using this setting, for an ASI1600 the image will be then binned at 2x2 equals 2328 x1760 pixels.

The I would inspect the image used for solving. You can find the image to solve at:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\nina\platesolver

This FITS you could open in ASTAP and look to statusbar for the pixel dimensions

Untitled2.png

If the image looks good and has at least 30 stars visible, you could try to press the solve button in ASTAP. If it fails (most likely) you could try FOV=auto option and try all FOV:

ASTAP stack menu, (ctrl+A), tab "alignment". Select auto and press solve button:

Untitled3.png

If that doesn't work upload the image in %LOCALAPPDATA%\nina\platesolver to nova.astrometry.net and give me the link to the result so I can have a look.

Han

• dswtan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Celestron, EQ, Equipment, Imaging, Planetarium

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics