I'm building a 10'x14' foot observatory this summer, and am working through the materials list. I live in snow country (Maine), so I need some input on sizing up truss chords and rafters.
- The open span will be ten feet.
- Rafter spacing will be 24".
- All joints will be reinforced with 1/2" plywood plates.
- Roof will be metal.
- Purlins will be let into the rafters
- Building will be unheated.
1: Can I use 2x4s? I know, bigger is better, but do I need 2x6 construction?
2: Roof pitch. I am planning on a metal roof, with either a 5/12 or 6/12 pitch. Thoughts?
Attached is a back of the envelop sketch of trusses. Top truss is king post, bottom, king post with webs (or struts).
Thank you for your help,
Edited by Scott123, 13 May 2021 - 08:42 AM.